May 2015 Archives
Last Wednesday night we went along to the Library to go to an "author talk" - they had Nick Davies (investigative journalist who exposed the News of the World phone hacking scandal) there for an interview and question time. Quite an interesting night and the sweetie got his book (signed) for us to read.
Saturday was Whisky Live. I don't think they had as many stalls as last year. Tried quite a few different things this year - things I wouldn't normally have tried. Then back to EffanC's place and we watched Thelma and Louise and Pulp Fiction.
Today was just about of stuff around the house and food shopping. We watched the unaired pilot of Sherlock, and also Emperor.
Also this week I lost my longest guardian portal in Longreach. 245 days. Super sad times.
Ten years ago tonight I met the sweetie for the first time in real life. It was that meeting that changed the rest of my life. Had it not been for that meeting I would not be sitting here in Canberra, having just watched through Sherlock, listening to my neighbour's loud music. I wouldn't be in the job I am now or have a whole stack of friends that I have now.
In short it's been a pretty great ten years.
Aquila saw that picture of the sweetie today and said he hadn't changed a bit. Neither have I really, although I did point out that I'm a lot fatter now hehe. And the reason I haven't dismantled the mosaic is that it reminds me of that trip to Queensland where I met the sweetie.
Ten years ago I was a massive fan of Dave2.
Today I still am.
Ten years ago tonight I was meant to be packing for a holiday to Queensland, yet I somehow found time to make up this Lego mosaic.
It will surprise you all to learn that I haven't actually dismantled that mosaic. It's still in the spare room.
Check out the timestamp of that photo! Just then!
So for reasons that I might elaborate on in a couple of days time, I have a bit of sentimental attachment to that mosaic. I know I really really should make something new, I mean that was the whole reason I bought the mosaic sets to start with. Maybe one day. Before I get arthritis and/or die ...
Incidentally, I'm still wearing that t-shirt too. Although it's been relegated to winter-only wear, on account of staining from wearing it for so long. Although I do have another one that I haven't started wearing yet, so I won't be out of Blogography t-shirts for some time yet :)
Did you know you can't buy real denim anymore? At least not in Target. The only "denim" they have is the thin stretchy stuff that wears through after only a year or so. I know this because I've had the same stuff from Jeanswest for the past few years and I'm sick of it wearing out so quickly. Is there anywhere you can get *real* jeans anymore? Will have to do some more searching.
Also in Target I couldn't find any pyjamas that inspired me (seemingly no sets at all).
Also in Target I couldn't find any bras of the same style as I got last time, which means I need to start all over a-fricken-gen and try more on. Why can't you buy the same thing in a couple of years time? Why do they insist on *changing* things all the time??
So the sweetie took me to Max Brennar and we had italian thick white hot chocolate - soooo evil but soooo good!!
So since the start of the weekend I've been to Sydney and back.
On Friday night I headed up to Sydney, listening to podcasts for the drive. Got to Mum's place and saw her photos of her recent trip to New Zealand. Stayed the night - first person to sleep on her new sofa bed, which was actually fairly comfortable.
In the morning we headed to my old flat to have a look at it - turns out the estate agents haven't fixed *anything* that was broken from last time. Grunt. Then had a body corporate meeting. Same problems that have been plaguing the place for the last fourteen years as it turns out.
Came back to mum's place and had a barrumundi lunch, then I headed back home.
Saturday night Stu had slow cooked some lamb shanks that were pretty tasty.
Today was just a bit of stuff around the house, food shopping, cooking dinner (coq au vin!) and Sherlock.
So I was reading this tonight. And for some reason it reminded me of the time I scored a goal in summer hockey.
You see I played hockey from about year 10 and all through uni until I started work at OzEmail in 1996. I used to play a half in hockey (I used to be fit - who knew?) so I was never really in the position to score goals. Some of that time I played summer hockey for a couple of summers. It was much like indoor soccer - on a quarter of the field, and sideways. And there was this one time at summer hockey I managed to score a goal. And my mum was there. And she epic cheered.
It was pretty cool :)
Was feeling miserable on Monday morning on account of fish killing on Sunday. The day didn't get any better. The proxies were misbehaving and we spent the better part of the day fighting with them.
Today I decided to apply rules of quantum physics and not look at them. Strangely they behaved somewhat better. Probably just having their console windows open adds to their workload (and they never could cope at the best of times). We'll be damned glad to see the back of them when they go.
Other than that we've been watching Sherlock again. Awesome show even a second time around.
The last of my angels died a week or so ago. But I'm a slacker and hadn't pulled it out of the tank.
Then yesterday the sweetie decided to move the last duboisi and the sucking catfish into the angel tank.
Which hadn't been cleaned.
His fish were dead by today.
I might have had a moment.
We totally don't deserve to keep animals. Part of me wants to get rid of every fricken tank we have.
Also. Gravity sucks.
Also. I broke both my middle fingernails today reaching into things.
I clocked my phone last night.
Ten thousand photos taken on my phone in two and a half years (although a number of those were on my last phone that were ported over to the new one).
Work has been super stressful the last little while. On Friday night stayed back a little trying to resolve a problem for someone, which I did, so that was a relief leading into the weekend. In fact I was just packing up to go when EffanC called to see if we wanted to go out for dinner. Sounded great! So we went into Mezzalira. I'd never actually been there before. At C's suggestion we had the five course degustation menu with matched wines. On my! So delicious. A really great meal.
Pan seared scallops with smoked eel and jerusalem artichoke
Tortellini in sage butter
Mushroom risotto with truffle oil
Saturday was a nice quiet day at home.
In the evening we went to the Ha Ha Bar for drinks for Kit's birthday. It's not the sort of place that's really designed for that sort of gathering though - it's more a restaurant than a bar, so they say they do table service, but if we'd waited for table service we never would have gotten drinks. And when I went to order some nibbles they said they'd come over and take food orders, but they never did so didn't end up getting food. Anyway things settled down a bit when we all just went to the bar for drinks, and several platters of fries were ordered. Pool at the Lighthouse afterwards. A good fun evening.
Today was another quiet day of getting things done around the house. In the afternoon we went for a walk to hack some portals and do some missions, then did a little food shopping. Cooked honey mustard chicken for dinner. Yum!
So nothing of any particular significance for May 16 this year.
- Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, and find line 4. "Of course," he muttered. "That would have been too easy. Anakin, where are you?"
- Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, What can you touch? The wall
- Before you started this survey, what were you doing? Eating breakfast, and reading Dave2's version of this
- What is the last thing you watched on TV? Sherlock
- Without looking, guess what time it is 8:15am
- Now look at the clock. What is the actual time? 8:25am
- With the exception of the computer, what can you hear? The water spray in the fish tank
- When did you last step outside? What were you doing? Last night, coming home from EffanC's
- Did you dream last night? Probably
- Do you remember your dreams? Sometimes
- When did you last laugh? Last night
- Do you remember why / at what? Chatting with friends
- What is on the walls of the room you are in? Paint
- Seen anything weird lately? A girl who walks down three flights of stairs to use the girls bathroom on our floor
- What do you think of this quiz? Not too bad so far
- What is the last film you saw? Guardians of the Galaxy
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Germany
- If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy? An aeroplane
- Tell me something about you that most people don't know. Um
- If you could change one thing about the world, regardless of guilt or politics, what would you do? Outlaw stoopid people
- Do you like to dance? Sure
- Would you ever consider living abroad? Yes
- Does your name make any interesting anagrams? Probably
- Who made the last incoming call on your phone? My neighbour. She was a bit drunk. OK a lot drunk.
- What is the last thing you downloaded onto your computer? A form to change my name with an organisation
- Last time you swam in a pool? Last Friday night
- Type of music you like most? Classical soundtracks (eg anything by John Williams). Or rock.
- Type of music you dislike most? Hip hop/rap crap
- Are you listening to music right now? No
- What color is your bedroom carpet? Beige with brown flecks
- If you could change something about your home, without worry about expense or mess, what would you do? Seal in the laundry and put a toilet in downstairs
- What was the last thing you bought? Lunch yesterday
- Have you ever ridden on a motorbike? Yes - when I was about seven, at our neighbour's place
- Would you go bungee jumping or sky diving? Yes
- Do you have a garden? Yes
- Do you really know all the words to your national anthem? Yes. Actually I'll qualify that - I'm a bit fuzzy on the second verse (which never gets sung) and don't know the other verses (which aren't official anyway)
- What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? What day is it?
- If you could eat lunch with one famous person, who would it be? I dunno. Maybe David Bowie
- Who sent the last text message you received? My neighbour
- Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Gosh I dunno. Bunnings? Harvey Norman? Ikea?
- What time is bed time? 11pm lights out
- Have you ever been in a beauty pageant? No
- How many tattoos do you have? None
- If you don't have any, have you ever thought of getting one? No
- What did you do for your last birthday? Drank lots of whiskey then had dinner at Bella Vista
- Do you carry a donor card? Yes
- Who was the last person you ate dinner with? The sweetie and EffanC
- Is the glass half empty or half full? Depends on the direction it's going. If you're drinking a glass of something, then at the half way point it's half empty. If you're filling a glass, then at the half way point it's half full.
- What's the farthest-away place you've been? Scotland
- When's the last time you ate a homegrown tomato? Month or two ago - some of Kit's
- Have you ever won a trophy? Yes - for swimming when we were kids
- Are you a good cook? Not really. Stu is much better, but he rarely ever cooks :(
- Do you know how to pump your own gas? Yes. Who wouldn't??
- If you could meet any one person (from history or currently alive), who would it be? Jesus
- Have you ever had to wear a uniform to school? Yes
- Do you touch-type? Yes
- What's under your bed? Dust
- Do you believe in love at first sight? Maybe
- Think fast, what do you like right now? Our heater
- Where were you on Valentine's day? Gungahlin for supplies, then out to the club
- What time do you get up? Usually between 6:45 and 7am
- What was the name of your first pet? Bluey
- Who is the second to last person to call you? EffanC
- Is there anything going on this weekend? Tidying the house. Trying to get rid of stuff
- How are you feeling right now? Not too bad
- What do you think about the most? Um. Work maybe.
What time do you get up in the morning?
- If you had A Big Win in the Lottery, how long would you wait to tell people? Dunno. I'd probably be questioning the authenticity of it on account of I don't buy lottery tickets.
- Who would you tell first? Stu obviously
- What is the last movie that you saw at the cinema? Cinderella
- Do you sing in the shower? Not really
Which store would you choose to max out your credit card?
- What do you do most when you are bored? Read rss feeds
- What do you do for a living? Solve people's problems
- Do you love your job? Some of it
- What did you want to be when you grew up? Pilot
- If you could have any job, what would you want to do/be? Pilot. Actually probably not. Flying for myself would be fun, but I couldn't handle the stress of flying other people. Getting paid to travel the world would be good.
- Which came first the chicken or the egg? One of them
- How many keys on your key ring? I dunno. Lemme go look. Six.
- Where would you retire to? Probably here
- What kind of car do you drive? Ford Laser
- What are your best physical features? My hair
- What are your best characteristics? Attention to detail
- If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation where would you go? Europe? America? Antarctica? Cruise around the Mediterranean? St Maarten?
- What kind of books do you like to read? Science fiction, adventure
Where would you want to retire to?
- What is your favorite time of the day? Sunset
- Where did you grow up? Sydney
- How far away from your birthplace do you live now? 285km
- What are you reading now? I'm in between books
- Are you a morning person or a night owl? Morning
- Can you touch your nose with your tongue? Yes
- Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows? Yes
- Do you have pets? We have fish
- How many rings before you answer the phone? Um, as long as it takes to answer?
- What is your best childhood memory? Maybe our trip to America in 1983
- What are some of the different jobs that you have had in your life? Pie packer, shop assistant, ISP call centre, desktop support, systems administrator
- Any new and exciting things that you would like to share? Um, not off the top of my head
- What is most important in life? um, friends/family/God
- What Inspires You? Good music
This is a recipe I've done a few times in recent months. I figured it must be relatively easy to do myself without using any packet mix. And it is!
Super simple ingredients - chicken, mustard, honey and cream.
After I took the first photo, I decided to also use some American mustard I had in the pantry. It really doesn't matter too much what sort of mustard you use - whatever you prefer really.
I'm using 500g chicken thighs, and maybe 200-300mL cream, a goodly swirl of honey and a few teaspoons of mustard.
Brown the chicken (500g will take a couple of batches)
Turn the heat down, add in the cream, mustard and honey
Serve with rice and frozen vegetables
Serves two to three, depending on the appetite of your sweetie :)
Friday night was swim night, and supper at EffanC's (mmm beef stew).
Saturday morning we headed out to the club.
Whereupon I noticed we had lost our rear number plate :(:(:( We'd noticed it had been loose once before, but this time it was gone completely. Called Canberra Connect and various police to report it. Super epic pissed off, because I really liked that number plate and now we're going to lose it.
Then we did a bit of work scrubbing down the surface of our caravan which was starting to get mouldy.
Whereupon I sliced my finger open on a screw protuding from inside the caravan.
Yeah I pretty much lost it. We'd been planning to stay the night, but I was feeling too miserable so we just came home. We looked and looked for the number plate but didn't see it.
Went over to Kit's after dinner though which was nice.
Today, aside from finishing a jigsaw I started last night, didn't do much until we headed out again to look for the number plate. Fifty kilometres of driving around Canberra looking for it, but never found it :(:(:(:( Will give it a couple of days in the hope that someone will hand it in before applying for a new one.
Did some food shopping them came home. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy. Not bad. Now it must be bed time.
Oh also, I've uploaded a stack of images to old blog posts back to January, so if you could be bothered (I'm sure only mum will), there's pics in the archives.
Sunday a week and a half ago, Kerry tried to organise a girls outing to see Cinderella.
Except Lily and Immy had already seen it.
So it was just me, Kerry, Violet and Violet's friend.
And I'd forgotten how bad parking at the mall is on a weekend.
The movie was super sweet (and of course a bit sad in places). Probably you could think it was *too* sweet heh.
They didn't try to modernise the humour at all, so was just a nice movie with a lot of cgi (the palace was meant to look like the one in Dresden, which I guessed during the movie and read it later).
Have courage and be kind.
Had a pretty crap day today. Started off bad and just never got any better. Until beer o'clock I guess.
Been watching Big Bang Theory and Elementary and reading Tintin.
And we think our tv is dying - crazy video artefacts on it.
So I'm now three weeks behind on Friday Q. I remember having trouble with them ten years ago as well - some of the questions are *hard*!
Had two nights in a row at EffanC's just chatting which was nice.
In between I didn't do much. I vacuumed half the house, but we didn't do our food shopping. Cleared off the family room and mostly cleared off the dining room table, but didn't actually get rid of anything, just rearranged things. Got through more of our leftovers, but didn't cook anything new, or finish the oldest of the leftovers. Went for an Ingress walk today because it was such a glorious day, but didn't manage to get the sweetie to join me.
Tonight we had a very nice dinner at Kit's, and the sweetie gave her a hand with her resume/job application.