June 2006 Archives
Actually I finished two nights ago. But it took a day and a half to upload via my adsl link (the cd I had couldn't be read by my server). So at very long last, I've finally uploaded indexes to my USA photos of 2004 - two years almost to the day since I got back.
Have a look here - http://conspiracy.cia.com.au/Holidays/2004_USA/ .. enjoy!! (finally!!!)
Because I don't seem to be having much of it lately ... As stolen from Dave
- How old do you wish you were? I dunno.. 29?
- Where were you when 9/11 happened? I was at CIA. Gamera was having a bad disk night, and I needed to kick the machine. Marc was there and he was chatting to people who told him about it. We found the first pictures on the BBC website. I then went home and stayed up til 3am watching the coverage.
- What do you do when vending machines steal your money? It's only ever happened to me once (I rarely use vending machines, maybe this is why). I didn't think the $2 or whatever it was was worth the hassle of chasing it
- Do you consider yourself kind? No
- If you had to get a tattoo, where and what would it be? It'd probably be something cute, like a flower, and somewhere inconspicuous
- If you could be fluent in any other language what would it be? Maybe French or German
- Do you know your neighbors? Not really, except in passing in the corridors
- What do you consider a vacation? Going somewhere exciting and taking lots of photos
- Do you follow your horoscope? No
- Would you move for the person you loved? Yes
- Are you touchy feely? To some extent, moreso with people I like
- Do you believe that opposites attract? Sure
- Dream job? Pilot
- Favorite channels? um.. 9?
- Favorite place to go on a weekend? Stu's place :)
- Showers or Bath? Shower
- Do you paint your nails? Sometimes
- Do you trust people easily? Yes and no. Yes in that I take what people say as the truth, and so hence am quite gullible, but I don't open up to people easily
- What are your phobias? Don't really have any
- Do you want kids? No
- Do you keep a handwritten journal? Nah, I hate writing longhand
- Where would you rather be right now? With Stu
- What makes you feel warm and safe? Stu
- Heavy or light sleep? Fairly light
- Are you paranoid? Yeah somewhat
- Are you impatient? Yes
- Who can you relate to? A few years ago it was Ally McBeal heh
- How do you feel about interracial couples? No different to "same race" couples
- Have you been burned by love? Not really
- Whats ur life motto? Live long and prosper
- What's your main ringtone on your mobile? The Harry Potter theme. But it's too subtle when I'm out of the office and I don't hear it, so been thinking about using something else, most likely by John Williams
- What were you doing at midnight last night? Sleeping
- Who was your last text message from? Stu
- Who's bed did you sleep in last night? My own
- What color shirt are you wearing? Teal
- Most recent movie you watched? Pirates of the Caribbean, it was lots of fun
- Name five things you have on you at all times? Blackberry, memory schtick, keys, swipe card, glasses
- What color are your bed sheets? Blue at the moment
- How much cash do you have on you right now? $10.80 in my purse right now
- What is your favorite part of chicken? Drumstick
- What's your favorite town/city? Sydney, although New York was a lot of fun (pre 9/11 at least, haven't been back since)
- I cant wait till... tomorrow night when I'll be with Stu
- Who got you to join MySpace? I never joined myspace...
- What did you have for dinner last night? Leftover pepperoni pizza mmmmmmm
- How tall are you barefoot? Dunno, about 5'1" I think
- Have you ever smoked crack? No
- Do you own a gun? No
- What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Orange juice
- What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex? er, I don't have one
- Do you have A.D.D.? Don't think so
- What time did you wake up today? ~6:20. Then decided to turn my alarm off and sleep til whenever, which happened to be about 7:05
- Current worry? The thought of leaving my job
- Current hate? People that push in and don't indicate properly
- Favorite place to be? With Stu wherever he is. Lord Howe Island would be nice
- Where would you like to travel? Europe and the eastern half of the US
- Where do you think you'll be in 10 yrs? Canberra most likely
- Last thing you ate? Leftover beef stew
- What songs do you sing in the shower? I don't sing in the shower (unless the radio/cd happened to be up loud enough for me to hear it, which it never is)
- Last person that made you laugh? Dunno.. someone at work maybe
- Worst injury you've ever had? Broken metatarsal
- Does someone have a crush on you? Dunno
- What is your favorite candy? Mint chocolate perhaps
People may think they know why I do or say things. People may read things I say and come to conclusions about me. People may think they know how I've voted based on things I've said.
Well to those people, you are quite wrong. You have no clue how I vote, and could not possibly even *guess*. Just because I can see the other side of an argument doesn't mean I agree with that side as a whole. Even though I personally may actually be better off under one form of goverment or another, doesn't mean I would prefer to see them win.
So whatever conclusions people may have come to about me have no basis in reality.
That is all.
On a lighter note, we went out to celebrate James' promotion tonight. But after having a big lunch out (impromptu outing since was Jim's last day for a month), I thought I'd get something "light" for dinner. Got a chicken caesar salad. And couldn't get through it. It was ginormous!
Silly really :)
So for the time being I've been downgraded from a 1400 to a 1200, ethernet to usb, adsl modem. Marc couldn't figure out why mine won't get an ip address, so I've left it with him and have borrowed this one.
And I'm in this weird messy state between computers, and feel somewhat lost. At least I have shell access again, which I didn't have on the dialup, so that's a plus.
I left work early today.
And yet it's 10pm and I've done nothing tonight :(
ok, so I raced home so I could fiddle with the modem with Marc on the phone. No luck there. Still just as fubar as ever.
Then I went shopping.
Then I came home.
Then I fiddled with the modem.
The link is definitely working. It just won't connect.
And I wanted to get my USA photos done tonight.. :(
Well they did actually decide there was a problem with my connection and Marc very kindly had a look at it, but no progress yet.
Got quite a bit of stuff done this weekend, most importantly finally htmlifying my USA photos (yes, two years on). There's just a few more bits and pieces I want to do before I finally upload everything.
I think the kribs may have died from the new heater I put in - I noticed when I was clearing the tank out that the rubber was very slimy. Maybe something leftover from the manufacturing process killed them.. :(
Also, after replacing the network card in my puta, it was still only able to go at 10mbs, so I'm pretty convinced it's the cable. When I get the urge I'll run another one round to the switch and see how it goes.
Now just waiting for me boy to get home so I can talk to him and go to bed....
I've joined Stu's world of dialup.
And it sux.
They switched providers on me yesterday. And even though they say my modem is connected, and they say nobody else had any problems, the fact remains that after cold booting my router, switch *and* computer, I can't connect to the internet.
And I'm thrilled.
Can you tell?
Well I *was* winning tonight. Picked up the car from its servicing, and it was a cheap one. Then had some nice lamb leftovers from mum's party for dinner. Then Diana came over and we were going to go walking, but it was raining, so we played games instead. I won all three games of Rummytiles, probably won both games of Take Two, and even won the game of 500 with Diana against the parents.
So it was all good.
Then I remembered I'd forgotten to tape Veronica Mars. doh.
Kribs at home are all dying. One dead this morning, one dead tonight, the remaining two don't look too healthy. In the tetra/cory tank, my favourite peppered cory was dead this morning.
The guppys on the other hand are still breeding. This big girl was born at the end of November last year, and these are some of her two day old babies.
Two nights ago, after inspiration from Dave, I built my third Jackstone. This time I built it fairly quickly, passing all the frustrating bits without too much frustration. Although really I think I rushed it a bit. The folding isn't that great. And tragically, my original one is in better shape - the one that spent ten years in the bottom of a drawer .. !
The one on the left is my original, the one in the middle is the horror I made a couple of years ago, and the one on the right is the one I made poorly the other night..
And then we have some of the little models Dave made for me..
A very cute griffin -
And a little (big) fish and a gondola -
So noticed two dead kribs this morning. No idea why they died. They looked perfectly healthy. Except they were dead. :(
So fished them out, and decided I'd do a quick water change. So got the siphon and plonked it in the bucket and started siphoning. Except somehow the end popped out. And I siphoned 10L of water onto the floor before I noticed :(:(:(:( Smelly fish tank water at that :(:(
This is also why I don't keep anything on the floor that could be damaged by water. My biggest fear is that something will happen to the big tank and I'll end up with 120L of water all over the floor. Now *that* would be a disaster.
Soaked most of it up with a few towels, and now have a fan blowing on the rest.
Finally got around to watching Kirk's Pirates of the Caribbean dvd. It was great fun, I really enjoyed it. It's always good to watch a movie with no expectations. Anyway Kirk, I want to watch some of the things on the special features dvd, hope that's ok :)
And someone pointed something funny out to me today .. what happens if you spoonerise the Brangelina baby (Shiloh Pitt) ... hehe I giggled a lot at that :)
Oh yes, we played a game of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit yesterday. Josh took an early lead, with James and Stu making up ground and we eventually declared Stu the winner after we stopped for dinner. I reckon I knew about 3/4 of the answers, but I always seemed to get the questions (mostly from eps I/II/III) that I had no idea about.. *sigh* .. :)
Gosh, it's been a while since I've blogged (a whole four days heh).
Let's see. Friday night the boy arrived in Sydney which was lovely - three weekends in a row - woot!
Friday was also me mum's birthday, so Saturday was her birthday party. Dave, Stu and I were the only people there under the age of about 55, so that was a little .. er.. heh :) But I was assigned task of official photographer, so ran round taking photos of stuff. Mum got a caterer in at Yvonne's suggestion, and that worked really well. The caterer was really nice too, even giving Dave and me offcuts of the end bits of the roasts and the bones to pick at :):) Coolfullness :) Mum did this quiz thing where she wrote a whole stack of questions and everyone had to try and answer them. I think I probably got more right than anyone, but I wasn't scoring cause I really didn't care heh. The prize was a bag of jaffas that went straight into a bowl and got shared around :)
After the party we went shopping and got Stu a new battery for his phone and a coffee and some bits and pieces from Big W, and went and looked at the fish shop at all the cichlids. Then we came home and crashed and ordered pizza - bacon and cheese burst crust - evil!! :) Definitely ate too much though, and ached the rest of the night.. oops...
Today was a complete morning off. Slept in, and just pottered around the house. I patched servers while Stu read his css book. Had two computers setup in the study so we can work on one each which was cool. Then I did some more fish stuff - moved Fred and George into the study, so now I have all my fish in here.
Will probably be going to play a game of Star Wars Trivial Pursuit later.....
First up we have a lovely roast pork hock -
Then, because we decided to have pizza for lunch at work today, I thought I really needed some veggies for dinner tonight -
Had to come home today :(
My car this morning was like a freezer that's been left too long without a defrost. Except all the ice was on the outside. My poor little car has never been in a frost like that, at least not while I've had it. I scraped away what I could with just my fingernails before I watered it down, only to realise later up the highway that my fingernails have apparently scratched the windscreen ?!?!? I've yet to rub it to see if it's just perhaps a scratch in a later of oil or something. I know plastic scourers scratch windscreens, but I'll be a tad put out if the scratches are permanent :( Does anyone know of a way to reduce the look of the scratches?
Day was ok. Firewalled the file server with seemingly no apparent side-effects.
Bit of a blah night. The neighbour's pipes above my garage are leaking again. Four litres of goodness knows which sewage water dripped into my garage over the weekend. Emptied out the container but got it all over me in the process, and then the tap out the back which needs a new washer had been turned off so hard I couldn't turn it on. So ewwwww.
And then sat down to watch Survivor but realised I haven't actually seen last week's episode yet.
Only three days to go........
It wasn't my fault - it was entirely too delicious! But more on that later :)
The plan for today was to see Sean and Mel this morning and have a quiet afternoon around the house. Except that by the time we actually got out of the house it was nearly lunchtime. Oops. But we had a nice late morning tea with them and then dropped by Scotty's to pick up some power tools and got back here by 3pm.
Anyway so we had these organic pork hocks we got at the farmers markets, along with some sweet potato, potato, parsnip, leek and onion. We cut up the veggies and sat the pork in some of them, turned up the oven and cooked it on high for a bit, then dropped it back down to 80C for another three hours.
While waiting for the pork to cook, we did some gardening and some handyman type stuff.
We also made a killer apple sauce out of apples we got at the markets. It was a bit of effort but I'm sure a heck of a lot better for us than stuff out of a jar.
So the whole thing came together and it was utterly delicious. Stu thinks it's the best roast pork he's ever had heh. But we both ate too much methinks ;)
Watched some more Star Trek, washed up, and time for bed now.
So this morning we slept in. Again. :) Meandered out of bed eventually and got ready eventually, and got out the door at something like 2pm :)
Headed out to Wee Jasper for a drive. Got out to Carey's Cave around 4pm. Unfortunately you can't go into the caves except on a tour, which had been finished for the day, and we didn't have enough money anyway when the dude offered to take us in anyway heh. So we said maybe next time. Meandered back to Yass for a lovely Indian-style dinner at Annie and Stu's.
Some photos from the weekend....
I swear the rain follows me to Canberra. The last two times I've been here it's just rained and rained. Not that that's a bad thing, it just seems out of character with the city :)
Had a bit of a lazy day today. Woke up very early (the Curse of the Morning Person) and took ages to get back to sleep (although had a rather lovely dream about Stu when I eventually did :) ). Got up eventually and went to the farmers markets and got a bunch of fresh local produce. Then went to the poultry show next door and saw lots and lots of chickens and a few ducks. There was a dude there that made and sold chicken runs, and had some really sweet chickens. We wanted to take one of them home on the spot. She was quite content to sit on our hands, and even on the dude's hat. Very cool :)
Came home and had some lunch and then an afternoon siesta before going over to Mishi's for a *wonderful* lamb roast, it was just divine.
And suddenly it's 11:30.. How'd that happen? :)
With the boy tonight :):):) yayyyy.. This two weekends in a row thing does it for me :)
Decided to leave after peak hour tonight to avoid the long weekend escape. Well that theory was ruined by someone that rolled their car. And brought the M5 to a standstill. *sigh*
But got here eventually and Stu was watching Return of the Jedi on dvd. Every time I watch these movies I find more things to pick on. Sometimes when I commented on something, Stu would say it was based on a true story, heh :) Silly really. :) (ok so you probably had to be there :) )
And this won't mean anything to anyone else, but was listening to Saint-Saens Symphony Number 3 in the car and my favouritest bit of it came on just as I came over the hill on Horse Park Drive that has a view of the north of Canberra and Black Mountain Tower.. It was very *very* cool, for me at least :)
Can anyone guess what this is up close? Sorry it's not a great pic, and not really expecting anyone to get it :) ) (I should actually do this properly like Missyisms has done)
This was my dinner one night last week - capsicum stuffed with potato and cheese and topped with sour cream -
And Lily and Jake being adorable -
Well I gave up watching Lost. It was just getting too tedious. And none of the characters were that likeable. And it was getting too violent. The final straw was Sawyer squishing a frog.
That's like the third show in the past few years I've given up watching. Normally if I start watching a show I'll watch it forevermore until the bitter end. I think I must be getting old!
I've gotten some new Lego in the past couple of weeks. Firstly the Graveyard Duel set from Harry Potter, featuring Voldemort -
Then I got some minifigs from a Bricklink store.
First, a very cute jawa -
And finally, an utterly adorable Batman -
I want a Superman minifig now!
As I pulled out my Canada jumper to wear today, I wondered if I had been in Canada exactly two years ago today. Turns out I had. It would have been a really good day, had it not been for the rain (and the fact that I lost the shade hood on my camera the day before). We drove the entire Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper that day, and got to the northern-most point on the planet we've ever been.
Maybe one day I'll go back there with Stu and maybe the sun will come out for us :)
From Kevin, who apparently made it up himself :)
- Driver's seat or passenger seat?
mm, probably driver's seat, although also happy to navigate or just watch the scenery go by
- What was the first car you owned (could have been purchased by someone else)?
A 1984 ford laser. It was kidnapped and murdered four years after I got it
- What is the first car you paid for yourself?
Yep. With a bank cheque. The teller said not to spend it all at once heh
- How many cars are currently housed in your place of residence? How many are still operable?
Just the one. Well actually there's probably closer to 30, but they belong to other people :)
- If money were not a factor, what kind of car would you own?
Maybe a WRX (late nineties models).. always wanted one of those..
- If a police investigation was not a factor, what kind of car would you destroy any time you see it? Why?
Any 4WD that has never been off bitumen in its life. They're big and ugly and obstruct my view of the road and waste massive amounts of petrol.
- Does driving in big city traffic fill your veins with adrenaline or your pants with something a bit worse?
er, neither really. heh
- What is your biggest pet peeve regarding driving and/or your fellow drivers?
Drivers that push in. Either from racing up the inside lane that's about to end and then pushing in, or turning right from the left lane when there's no arrows so they can get through the lights before everyone else turning right from the right lane.
- What's the most expensive traffic ticket you've ever received (could be monetary or jailtime)?
Never gotten one. Although I'm sure I would have been thrown into jail if I'd been caught at my naughtiest heh
- What is the name you've given to your current vehicle (be honest, everyone names their car)?
I don't really have a name. The first one Gail called the naf-mobile and that kinda stuck. This one is sexy-exy, or exe-file or just little car.
So we were driving back to Stu's from Damien's yesterday, through the outer-ish suburbs, when we drove past an undeveloped area. I looked at the open field and said to Stu "you know I half expect to see a kangaroo in that sort of pasture", so Stu looked over and said "there's some" .. !? flipping heck there were three kangaroos just where I thought there should be some!
So today after eventually getting out of bed and getting ready, we went over to Damien's for lunch. Mishi and L came, and Jo, a friend of Damien's came. It was all very civilised. Some nice wine and lots of food and a generally nice time.
And now it's 5pm and I feel somewhat drained. Must be all the socialising we've been doing all weekend .. :)
Our todo list for the next time I'm down includes planting fresia bulbs, planting some foxglove seeds, going to the farmer's markets, getting some photos of us (cause we don't really have any good ones), probably some fish stuff (I got some lights for my 620T tank today - they're hard to get so I'm rather pleased about that). And generally just have a much quieter weekend than this one :)
Well we had a bit of a sleep-in, a bit of a snuggle, and then the family descended en-masse. All of them. Really. Heh :) Actually them all being in the one place at the same time is pretty rare, so I took a bunch of photos to mark the occasion. After lunch they all headed off, and we crashed out for a couple of hours. Then headed out to Annie and Stu's where Ruth had spent the afternoon cooking, and we had a rather lovely roast lamb dinner. Made the other Stu watch Galaxy Quest which was on telly, and he liked it heh. Heading beack into Canberra was cool because the city lights reflected off the cloads, so we could see the place as a glow on the horizon all the way from Yass.
I'm sick of being sick. Can't stop coughing and it's getting a bit old now :(
So yesterday I decided to be selfish and keep my germs to myself. So I worked at home. And strangely enough I actually got more work done yesterday than it felt like I did all week. Less distractions. Or less opportunities for procrastination.
Decided I needed to go in today though. Learnt more about how Backup Exec works, and what strange things can happen to it if you start firewalling things around it :)
Caught two of my kribs, including the big boy that I really wanted to catch surprisingly easily. Allowed myself half an hour to catch them, but it only took about a minute :) They're settling ok into Stu's tetra/cory tank. But worried they'll start terrorising the tetras and corys, so will have to keep an eye on that.
The drive down sucked. M5 was a disaster practically the entire way to Campbelltown. Then it bucketed down rain but at least I could get around cars. Past Goulburn the run was clear and much nicer.
Watched an episode of Star Trek, and now is time to crash.