October 2006 Archives
Tomorrow is World Vegan Day.
Needless to say I won't be celebrating it. ;)
I did however go vegetarian tonight, attempting to replicate something Stu and I made on the weekend (I was feeling fooded out after Jake's party and wanted something "healthy").
* bag of mushrooms, sliced
* a couple of capsicums, preferrably different colours, diced into small pieces
* bit of butter and a big dolloup of mashed garlic
* herbs/spices/salt/pepper to taste
* Bertolli pasta sauce of your choice
* few cups of wholegrain pasta
* handful of shredded tasty (or parmesan) cheese
Fry the mushrooms in butter (or oil), then add the capsicum and garlic. I added a Bull's Horn capsicum to my mix tonight. Cook until it softens a little. Looks good already hey? :)
Bertolli make these lovely pasta sauces which appear to be preservative free. We had Sun Dried Tomato and Sweet Basil on the weekend. Tonight I had Tomato, Parmesan, Parsely and Cracked Pepper.
Add the sauce to the veggies and simmer gently for a while.. looking even better!
While that's happening, cook up some wholegrain pasta (supposed to be better for you heh!). Once that's done, put the pasta in a bowl, topped with the capsicum/mushroom sauce, and a sprinkling of your favourite cheese.
Stu added some chicken stock to his version, which I didn't do. But they both tasted superb :)
These are some pics of Stu's garden. Somewhat of an English Country Garden!
Position vacant? What happened to the last person? Were they shot? :)
I love this pic of Lily and Annie taken at Jake's party today
Jake with his second birthday cake
After Jake's party, we stopped in at the Alpaca show at EPIC. There was a whole shed full of these sweet, if skittish, alpacas. Stu wants one when he grows up heh
Alpaca periscope? I swear they have such long necks, they're like little giraffes!
Fairly quiet day today (well for the beginning anyway heh). Ran some errands - breakfast, shopping, post office etc, then back here and Annie and Stu and the kids came over for lunch, before just doing some tidying up and some resting.
Then we wandered over to Mishi's for some wonderful food, followed by a new game of Stu's called Condottiere, which Jo won, and followed by a game of Up the River Down the River, aka Oh $#^+, which Damien won. All in all a fun night, even after much talk of Canberra employment musings heh.
Stolen from Dave
- Explain what ended your last relationship? Essentially I wasn't ready for a relationship. Sometimes I think I'm still not ready for a relationship
- When was the last time you shaved? Wednesday night
- What were you doing this morning at 8 a.m.? Driving through a school zone, wondering if 8am meant I should be slowing down to 40
- What were you doing 15 minutes ago? Both when I first read this meme and when I'm answering it - was lying in bed, although two different beds
- Are you any good at math? Depends on what level. I loved 3 unit maths in high school and was very good at it. I really didn't like 4 unit maths, and I blame Coroneus for his textbooks. All his books should be burned dammit!!
- Your prom night? what about? er, yeah what about it. I went to my year 12 formal with my first boyfriend and it was a painful experience because he refused to dance and the music was too loud to talk, so we just sat there
- Do you have any famous ancestors? My ancestors were First Fleeters. Anthony Rope and Elizabeth Pulley (yes Ropes and Pulleys!) Ropes Creek in Sydney (and presumably the new housing estate "Ropes Crossing") are named after him.
- Have you had to take a loan out for school? No. My parents paid my HECS, aren't they wonderful? heh
- Do you know the words to the song on your MySpace profile? I don't have a myspace profile. Myspace is evil
- Last thing received in the mail? Dunno, junk mail probably
- How many different beverages have you had today? Orange juice, water, beer
- Do you ever leave messages on people�s answering machine? Yeah, but I don't like them
- Who did you lose your CONCERT virginity to? The Choirboys, at high school in 1988
- Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach? Not usually, although I did write Kazza & Stu in the sand at the beach the other day....
- What�s the most painful dental procedure you�ve had? I don't remember any painful dental procedures. I had my top two wisdom teeth taken out, but that wasn't painful..
- What is out your back door? I don't have a back door. Out my balcony door is a balcony and a pool
- Any plans for Friday night? That would be tonight. Spending it with my sweetie
- Do you like what the ocean does to your hair? Not really
- Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different popcorns? er.. no... what is that?
- Have you ever been to a planetarium? Once in primary school, an inflatable one in the school library, it was very cool
- Do you re-use towels after you shower? Sure
- Some things you are excited about? My boy.. er.. not much else I'm on an alcohol crash at the moment.. ask me again tomorrow...
- What is your favorite flavor of JELLO? We don't have Jello in Australia, we have jelly. I like lots of different kinds, especially I suppose the citrussy ones
- Describe your keychain(s)? Which one? My work keys are on a leather one Luc gave me years ago for a birthday. It used to have a Swiss Army Knife in it, but the original got lost and I took it out during the Olympics for security reasons. My car keys are on an electronic beeper thing that has dodgy battery connections that I should fix one day. My home keys are on a 1m tape measure.
- Where do you keep your change? In my purse. I try to pay exact change for things, so it never accumulates
- When was the last time you spoke in front of a large group of people? Don't really remember.. it's been a long time.. I'm allergic...
- What kind of winter coat do you own? I have this cool jacket I got in Go-Lo for $18. It's soft and warm and it doesn't matter if I lose it cause it was so cheap, although I'm somewhat sentimentally attached to it now
- What was the weather like on your graduation day? Sunny
- Do you sleep with the door to your room open or closed? Open
Was catching up on Kevin's posts tonight (yeah I got behind in them again :( ) and saw his tribute to a 9/11 victim as part of Project 2996. Had a look at the list and read some of the other tributes. Not quite randomly - for want of some better method, I read all the tributes to Karens. There was quite a lot of them. Some of them were beautifully written. Very touching. Very sad.
Had another quiet day today. After doing a whole lot of nothing, we took a drive to Botany Bay where we collected shells, took photos of planes, and had a walk up and down the beach. Then back here to do more nothing and eventually he left. And it was very sad. It's been so nice having him here for the week. Now it's back to reality :(
After a slow morning, Stu had a hankering for dumplings, so we made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go to Yum Cha. Which was very yummy. :) Stu was in heaven (he may even blog it himself! :) )
Got back home, and went for a walk to the shops via the fish shop.
Cooked a turkey leg roll roast for dinner, which turned out fairly well. Never done any sort of roast turkey before. Probably not among my favourite roasts. Ah well, it's all good :)
Watched some videos, and now time for beddie-bies
Stolen from Dave
- DO YOU SNORE? Apparently, when I'm lying on my back
- ARE YOU A LOVER OR A FIGHTER? Probably a lover. Hate fighting.
- WHAT�S YOUR WORST FEAR? Having my house burn down
- AS A KID, WERE YOU A LEGO MANIAC? Don't know about maniac, but had a bit of space lego. I turned into a maniac when I grew up and discovered ebay
- WHAT DO YOU THINK OF �REALITY� TV? Some is good, some is crap
- DO YOU CHEW ON YOUR STRAWS? No
- WERE YOU A CUTE BABY? Somewhat I suppose.. you be the judge:
- IS THE SINGLE LIFE FOR YOU? No. Well I'm not single now, and that is a good thing, and when I was single it was a bad thing
- WHAT COLOR IS YOUR KEYBOARD? Black. But only because my old keyboard is ps2 and woulnd't work on my new computer
- DO YOU SING IN THE SHOWER? No
- HAVE YOU EVER BUNGEE JUMPED? No.. maybe one day
- ANY SECRET TALENTS? I give fairly good massages, but that's not really a secret
- WHAT�S YOUR IDEAL VACATION SPOT? Lord Howe Island
- CAN YOU SWIM? Yep
- HAVE YOU SEEN THE MOVIE DONNIE DARKO? Yes
- DO YOU GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE OZONE? Yes
- HOW MANY LICKS DOES IT TAKE TO GET TO THE CENTER OF A TOOTSIE POP? er.. dunno...
- CAN YOU SING THE ALPHABET BACKWARDS? Probably not.. never tried it
- DO YOU PREFER ELECTRIC OR MANUAL PENCIL SHARPENER? Don't think I've ever used an electric pencil sharpener..
- WHAT�S YOUR STAND ON HUNTING? Against it
- IS MARRIAGE IN YOUR FUTURE? Hopefully :)
- DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? Not really
- WHAT ARE YOU ALLERGIC TO? The sun
- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAID, �I LOVE YOU� ? The other night I think
- DO YOU CRY AT WEDDINGS? Not usually
- HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EGGS? Fried
- ARE BLONDES DUMB? Well I'm a blonde and I'm dumb..
- WHERE DOES THE OTHER SOCK END UP? With the other one. I don't lose socks..
- WHAT TIME IS IT? 10:49am
- DO YOU HAVE A NICKNAME? Kazza
- IS MCDONALD�S DISGUSTING? No
- WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU WERE IN A CAR? Last night
- DO YOU PREFER BATHS OR SHOWERS? Showers
- IS SANTA CLAUS REAL? pfft :)
- DO YOU LIKE TO HAVE YOUR NECK KISSED? er.. a bit ..
- ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK? No, I'm only afraid of what might be hiding in the dark
- WHAT ARE YOU ADDICTED TO? Potato chips, so I don't buy them very often
- CRUNCHY OR CREAMY PEANUT BUTTER? Neither, never really liked peanut butter
- CAN YOU CRACK YOUR NECK? Not my neck, but my lower spine
- HAVE YOU EVER RIDDEN IN AN AMBULANCE? No
- IS DRUG FREE THE WAY TO BE? shrug
- ARE YOU A HEAVY SLEEPER? No
- WHAT COLOR ARE YOUR EYES? Sort of green, with a bit of brown and grey
- DO YOU LIKE YOUR LIFE? For the most part
- ARE YOU PSYCHIC? No
- HAVE YOU READ CATCHER IN THE RYE? Yes, wondered what all the fuss was about
- DO YOU PLAY ANY INSTRUMENTS? I play the recorder badly and the piano even more badly (ie, one note a time)
- HAVE YOU EVER STOLEN MONEY? Sometimes coins from people's coin piles, but I always ask if I can steal them (or pay them for them)
- CAN YOU SNOWBOARD? No
- DO YOU LIKE CAMPING? Not really
- DO YOU SNORT WHEN YOU LAUGH? Don't think so..
- DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC? Wingardium Leviosa!
- ARE DOGS A MAN�S BEST FRIEND? Like Dave said, to some people
- YOU BELIEVE IN DIVORCE? Only as a last resort in abusive or otherwise extreme circumstances
- CAN YOU DO THE MOONWALK? Don't think so
- DO YOU MAKE A LOT OF MISTAKES? I guess so
- IS IT COLD OUTSIDE TODAY? Actually yes - 15.8C
- WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Sultana bran with milk
- DO YOU WEAR NAIL POLISH? Sometimes. I like glittery nail polish in funny colours (like blue)
- HOW MANY PEOPLE DO YOU LIKE RIGHT NOW? Umm....
- WHAT�S THE MOST ANNOYING TV COMMERCIAL? Those closing down sale ads.. there's a particularly annoying set in Australia with this dude with a horrible voice screaming out everything in a hurry
- DO YOU SHOP AT AMERICAN EAGLE? No (what is that anyway? :) )
- FAVORITE SONG AT THE MOMENT? At the moment..? dunno... don't really have one
So we had a wake today at work. The meeting was at 2pm. The COO got booed for not answering direct questions. The drinking started at about 3:30pm. The drinking continued for several hours, over a game of emperor/scum, in which I retained emperor for three hands in a row until the end of the game. The alcohol remained in the system during dinner at Arthur's Pizza with Jim, Luc and Stu. The alcohol remained in the system as my boy drove us home, and got home and crashed for the night.....
(I did somehow manage to smash one of the clips on my backpack at some point toinght, which makes wearing my backpack rather frustrating. Will have to try and find some sort of replacement....)
Took Stu along to L�wenbr�u Keller tonight. We got there quite early (like 5:20) and had a couple of beers (biers) and chatted, and then ordered dinner (I couldn't resist the pork belly, and Stu had some nice sausages). It was very quiet in the restaurant (I was hoping it would be - I thought it would be nicer to go on a Wednesday rather than a Friday night, and turns out it was, and being early certainly helped). So that was all rather pleasant, considering the 30C day (all day!).
Then got home and it was still very hot, even after 8pm, so decided to go for a quick dip. The water was *freezing*!! - so cold that Stu didn't even get all the way in. But I did for about 10-15 minutes, and it was very refreshing.
And then we watched House and did some boring domestic stuff, and about to head off to bed :)
The Games Club at work made me cry again today. Two bad nights sleep and job uncertainty certainly didn't have me in a stable frame of mind, but their rejection sent me over the edge. Bastards. All of em.
On Friday the 13th, my future for next year or so was thrown completely into chaos. Although I didn't find about it in full detail until today. And I won't really know what's going to happen for a while longer. I was somewhat shellshocked all day. Didn't really get much work done.
My holiday next year. My long service leave. My servers. All in doubt. I wasn't planning to think about any of this stuff until later next year, but it might come around sooner.
I think Jim and Luc are feeling similarly uncertain. Jim especially I think. Don't know how the others are feeling. Lunch was long and somewhat sombre.
As Jim said, it's certainly the end of an era.
Ironically, Dilbert on Friday was eerily related...
When I first discovered Google earth/maps, mostly only the USA was in high resolution. So naturally I went looking at places I'd been - NY, DC etc. And discovered to my amusement that they'd greyed out the top of the White House. Well not anymore it seems :)
The boy was out tonight, so treated myself to some cointreau and vodka/vanilla coke, and watched dvds. First up, Stu's copy of Muriel's Wedding, which I didn't realise was directed by another of my favourite movies' (Peter Pan) directors - P.J. Hogan. Followed by Shakespeare in Love, which makes me want to watch Romeo and Juliet - which I also have on dvd but have only watched once as part of the Red Curtain trilogy of Baz Luhrmann.
/me grins stupidly :)
Does anyone remember ASTRA? I can't imagine too many people would. I probably don't have too many Star Trek loving-Australian-newsgroup readers from 1995 reading my blog. ASTRA was the Australian Star Trek Ratings Analysis. Maintained, apparently, in excel, with regular postings to aus.sf.star-trek (and probably others).
I have wondered over the years whatever happened to astra. So tonight I went looking. Apparently it merged into GEOS in 1997. So there you go.
Tragically, I still have some of the aus.sf.star-trek postings from 1995 when I was into newsgroups, and The Original Series was being aired again. .. heh
Watched Space Seed tonight. Actually one of the better episodes. Makes me wanna watch Star Trek II again to see what happens next :)
.. and I think I'm coming down with something :(
Saw "Where No Man has Gone Before" tonight (taped off tv in 1998 some time). Part of a series of 12 episodes I have from the original series that I taped off tv, all the rest in 1995. Supposedly some of the better or my favourite episodes. It was a bit cheesy. But after all, it was a second pilot, and the series was just finding its feet. Not that the original series improved a whole lot. I didn't think it really matured til about Star Trek II. heh.
I have too many passwords for too much crap ...
...when you spend $379.84 on Star Trek, and then they go and rerelease it, and you can get the entire set as a limited edition boxed set for $279.83. Ezydvd also has the series individually. Original packaging: $199.83/season. New packaging: $42.83.
I still think Paramount were bordering on criminal charging so much for Star Trek. Maybe they've come to their senses and might actually sell some now.
oh yeah. depression sux.
A week ago I bought three blue guppies - a boy and two girls. Put them in their own new tank. Today I found the boy dead.
With any luck he impregnated the girls before he died.. either that or the girls will die too and I'll just give up on the idea of fish.
Daniel got all my mail back for me this morning, so now I'm a very happy girl :):):):):):):)
Spent a bit of time saving the unread messages to folders where it'll be a lot easier to manage them. Also got the mailbox down to 3mb :) But my eudora is a bit confused now, so think will just delete everything left on the server and start afresh.
This has been a good kick in the pants to keep my emails organised, and I'll have to come up with a method of dealing with emails that I need to action.
Caught up with John today, and gave him a hand ghosting a hard drive, which worked, and we were treated to a rather nice lunch (I had chicken and caesar salad), thanks Uncle Philips! :)
Then found out that somehow all my mail pre-August 22 has been deleted off the server. Which was upsetting and I am more than slightly pissed off about it. While I didn't actually *lose* any mail (I download it every night), I have lost about 200 emails that I hadn't read yet. They are lost because they were marked as "new" in my mail client on the server, and there's no way I will ever find those messages amongst my thousands of downloaded messages. About 2/3 of those really are messages I haven't read yet, and the other 1/3 are messages that I was leaving on the server so that I could get back to them because they were interesting/important/etc. Presumably they were removed due to space issues. But my mail file was 32mb before and it's down to 16mb now. Which is not huge in the grand scheme of things. Ben has very kindly said he'll have a look for them for me on backups on Monday, which will be awesome, but otherwise those messages will be gone forever :(
And finally, had another cia poker night. I came fourth in the end. It was very frustrating though, losing three big hands to Kirk. The first an ok hand to Kirk's three 6s. Then a winning pair to Kirk's three 7s. And finally two pair to Kirk's straight. Kirk played quite well though, um-ing and ah-ing and taking his time, when he had the three of a kind hands. He went on to win too, so good on him heh :) Had a fun time though, and a relatively early night yayy
Got evacuated today at work. We didn't think anything of it, as we get drills and false alarms all the time. But when we got outside there were fire trucks and ambulances everywhere. Some sort of chemical spill. People taken to hospital. It even made the papers, go figure.
As mentioned earlier tonight, I've been rather enjoying the 20 to 1 series on Channel 9. Tonight's countdown was Australian Movies.
20 - Muriel's Wedding
Love this movie. Stu was almost going to sell his copy of it (it came with his dvd player), but I said I'd take it :)
19 - Wolf Creek
Don't know that I want to see this. It's supposed to be very scary/violent.
18 - Babe
Love love love this movie too. Have it on dvd. Have the soundtrack too.
17 - Chopper
Haven't seen this
16 - Romper Stomper
Haven't seen this either
15 - Storm Boy
Saw this a long long time ago, haven't seen it since. I seem to remember it being pretty bleak...
14 - Strictly Ballroom
Have this on dvd too.. love it
13 - Young Einstein
Gosh this list is full of movies I've either never seen or totally love.. hehe. Been hanging out for this one to come out on dvd.
12 - Shine
Haven't seen this one
11 - Puberty Blues
Saw this a long time ago I think. Haven't read the book, would be interested in reading it. It was about Shire girls.
10 - Sunday Too Far Away
Haven't seen this
9 - The Adventures of Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Reminded me of Muriel's Wedding strangely enough. Must have been the music :)
8 - My Brilliant Career
Haven't seen it
7 - The Man From Snowy River
Great film. Went to Craig's Hut on Mt Stirling a few years ago.
6 - Breaker Morant
Haven't seen it
5 - Mad Max
Or this (so shoot me!! heh)
4 - Picnic at Hanging Rock
You kinda *want* Miranda to disappear.. heh. Went to Hanging Rock and had a picnic there on the same trip as Craig's Hut
3 - The Castle
Cool film, although I don't know how it'd go after repeated viewings. Apparently it only took 12 days to shoot (!!)
2 - Crocodile Dundee
A lot of fun
1 - Gallipoli
Haven't seen this... I probably should hey? :)
This in Stu's local shopping centre.. I wonder how long they'll leave it there...
A Julidochromis transcriptus baby in Stu's tank..
My World Series Poker win .. if only playing real life people were so easy :)
Some mystery flower buds in Stu's garden
The colourful and tasty fish dinner Stu cooked on Sunday night
There's somewhat of a trend of nostalgic tv shows at the moment. And I'm finding myself rather enjoying them. I liked a couple of the specials on around the time of the 50 years of television last month. The 50 years of news (done by channel 9) I kinda wish I'd taped to keep. And I've been enjoying the 20 to 1 shows since they started some time ago. And the other one I saw last night was What a Year. Last night's was 1975, so before my time. Next week is 82 or 83 or something.. should be fun heh.
I dunno why I like them... maybe I'm just getting old..??
Had another very slow start today. Well actually I slept really well, it seems not waking up at all during the night - which *never* happens! After we finally got going, we headed out to Yass for lunch (chips and some insanely evil garlic creamed potatoes, and don't try and get money out in a small country town on a public holiday - Commonwealth: atm out of order, National: no atm, Westpac: no atm, St George: *finally* a working atm heh)
Came home and tidied up the study significantly, and put on dinner (roast pork mmmmmmm)
And then had some fun photographing some flies....
Means I don't have to go to work tomorrow :)
We had a much better nights sleep last night, but still had a very slow morning. Eventually we wandered out the door and made a pilgramage to the fish shop, via lunch to Office Works and finally home four hours later heh :)
Spent the afternoon doing some general tidying of the house. Dinner was some fish and veggies that were very yummy.
Aside from some Star Trek we also watched Saltimbanco, and the final of The Worst Jobs in History. The finale worstest job was violin string makers - who had to gut sheep to get the intestines... was pretty icky :)
Have also been tackling a hexadecimal sudoku. Resorted to typing everything out in excel, because the squares in the paper are too teeny to fit up to 8 or 9 options for some of them. Am making slow progress on it. I'll be happy if I can complete it - I've only had the patience to complete one other, but that was a 2 star, this is 3 star. And of course if I stuff it up I'll be pretty pissed :)
So tonight I won the only game of poker on the Blackberry that I haven't won yet - the World Series game - 5000 players and $5 million prize money. I'd made a stack of attempts at it, but my previous best placing was 636. I played a very aggressive game and it paid off. Except that now I feel a bit lost cause I've won everything now heh.
In other news, we had quite a slow day, not helped by lack of sleep last night. We did some food shopping and had lunch out, watched some Star Trek, then watched So I Married an Axe Murderer and ate pepperoni pizza while babysitting Jakey.