April 2003 Archives
Which is more comforting for you...
1. Lying down on the couch, or stretching out on a recliner?
2. Going barefoot or wearing soft slippers?
sox! (woollen slippers in winter, barefeet or sox in summer)
3. Eating ice cream, or pizza?
4. Watching on TV...a classic movie or a reality show?
Depends on your definition of "classic movie" :) I'd probably rather watch a favourite movie than a reality show, but then I watch Survivor religiously
5. Wearing: blue jeans or sweat pants?
I wear jeans all day, every day
6. A long, soothing bubble bath or a quick, invigorating shower?
I don't have the patience for baths. I've been here two years and never used the bath. And a I need a shower to wake up in the morning :)
7. Furniture: leather, or something more on the fuzzy side?
Fuzzy. Leather's nice but it's not quite as cosy and comforting
8. Soft, classical music, or upbeat rock & roll?
9. Darkness or light?
In what situation? For sleep and fireworks dark is good. For working up close with hobbies light is good.
10. Thought-provoking question of the week: You get married, or otherwise begin cohabitating with a significant other. S/he moves into your place, but brings with them the UGLIEST chair you have ever seen! You really don't want this thing in your home, but SO says it is the most comfy chair s/he has ever sat in, and no way will they part with it. Do you: grin and bear it, or scheme to get rid of the montrosity somehow?
I'd probably bear it, but would try and find somewhere out of the way for it.. maybe.
ooo I didn't miss the post! Made it by a minute woohoo!
Mind you, it's so damned late now that I'm not gonna bother with this.. spent far too long tackling the exploded cia support mail queue and building lego tonight.. oops
I *finally* got around to fixing up my blog template, and adding reciprocal links. Just on the index page at least anyway, I'll get around to the other pages some other time :)
oops I just realised I haven't posted this. And that it's way past my bed time! Well ok, not a lot past, but I did have rather a late night last night watching Star Trek IV - had to force myself to turn it off half way through to go to bed :)
It was such a gloomy day today. After church I closed the blinds and watched Lord of the Rings and ate popcorn. Popcorn seems like such a lazy rainy Sunday afternoon kind of thing to do.
On the right is another pic of James and George's froggiest frog.
Got some more lego today too, lots of fun.
Aside from that, nothing to report :)
*Disclaimer* - Huge whinging rant following:
Well it started off with Sunday drivers starting early (you know the ones - happy to sit at 10km/h under the speed limit, causing you to miss lights etc), but they weren't too big a drama compared to the rest of the night.
The video night got moved to Stanmore, and Striker said he'd be there from 6pm, with videos to start at 8. So I rock up at 6:15 but he's not there. So I ring the doorbell anyway. No answer. Ring a couple more times. No answer. So I call Striker. "Keep ringing" he says, and he'll be there in 20 minutes. So I ring a few more times, but decide that I don't want to be standing around all by myself on a dark street at night, so I go back and sit in my car. Now without a book to read all I can do is listen to the radio, getting bored *out of my brain*. Minutes tick by. Tens of minutes. Eventually at 7:55 Striker, Alex and Wendy turn up. Of course by this stage my mind is numb and I'm thoroughly grumpy.
They spend a couple of minutes trying to contact the host of the video night. Door bell doesn't work. Phone doesn't work. Eventually they attract attention by yelling through a window.
So then we head down the back for fire twirling (which was the only good part of the whole night). I love fire twirling, I could watch it for hours. But the ground was wet so I had to stand there with my bag, cause noone asked if I wanted to dump my stuff inside. Continue to be stressed.
A bit before 8 we head inside, and order pizzas. The video decided on was "Angst" (sounds kind of appropriate somehow). I start to relax somewhat. Pizzas arrive, mine was a Parmagiana (sp?), which was *really good*. Then I tried to pour myself an orange juice. Trying to manipulate a two and a half litre bottle in one hand so I can hold a glass in the other. I squeezed tightly on it, and the orange juice literally exploded all over me. This was the last straw. After spending 10 minutes in the kitchen trying to dry myself off, I went back, picked up my things, and just left, in an attempt to avoid any more disasters. Of course as soon as I got to the car I completely lost it, and it took me the entire trip home to calm down. Now I just want to go to bed. 10:12pm on a Saturday night. Yay.
It's looking more and more likely that I'll need an isolation tank of some sort. Six of the Danios are picking on the 7th, leaving it looking rather gaunt and with a tattered tail. I'm worried that it'll get stressed and starved to death. There's also another of the big female danios that looks like something's wrong with its tail, although I can't get a good look at it because she won't keep still long enough.
Also, one of the angels has taken up chasing the other three. This is not such a problem at the moment - it'll be more of a problem if two or three start ganging up on someone.
The angels have also taken a liking to nibbling the wisteria shoots. The wisteria is a prolific grower though, so hopefully this won't be a problem either.
1. What was the last TV show you watched?
ER, last night
2. What was the last thing you complained about and what was the problem?
My mobile phone battery, that gives me about 10 seconds warning that it's going to die completely, after being on two bars a moment before
3. Who was the last person you complimented and what did you say?
4. What was the last thing you threw away?
How significant do you want to get? The last thing I put in the bin was the kebab stick from dinner
5. What was the last website (besides this one) that you visited?
www.mylex.com - trying to figure out what drivers I need to install on gamera to get it to see the replacement disk in the raid container
OK so I thought *I* was obessed with Lego at the moment .. check this dude's site out! Wow!
The other day I sprayed "Spray and Wipe" along the back corners of my kitchen benches where the cockroaches like to run along. So far I haven't seen any cockroaches wandering around the benchtops. This can only be a good thing. I guess it probably won't last very long, but it's certainly good while it lasts :)
Got a couple of cool photos tonight of James and George's froglets .. one is *almost* a frog!
I just realised it's Friday tomorrow!! Well ok it's actually Thursday, but it's Anzac Day on Friday, so it's a public holiday. I always find I can survive the day better if I know it's the last day of the week and I can sleep in the next day.
1. Yummier: Chocolate ice cream or strawberry cheesecake?
2. Better to watch on TV: Movies or sports?
Movies for sure! Sports? yuk! ;)
3. A better web browser: MSIE or Netscape (or tell us your own favorite!)
Well I'm against IE on principle, but I use it cause it's quicker to load. I used to use Netscape 3 until only very recently, as Netscape 4+ were just bloatware. And I also designed web pages for Netscape 3, cause I figured if they worked there they'd work anywhere
4. A better way to travel: Automobile or bus/train?
Depends where you're going. I'll drive just about anywhere unless it's difficult to get parking (eg the city)
5. Your preferred camera: Digital or film?
6. A Cooler Vehicle: Motorcycle or sports car?
Sports car (WRX specifically)
7. More fun: Video games or board games?
Probably board games
8. Sexier: A perfect body or an intelligent mind?
9. A stinkier smell: Skunk or gasoline (petrol)?
Never smelt a skunk
10. Thought-provoking question of the week: What is more important to you: making a ton of money and being at the top of your field, or finding your soulmate and living a comfortable but not wealthy life?
Finding a soulmate
I am so sore today after all my manual labour yesterday. My arms and shoulders are *aching*. Houssein is in much the same condition.
I have managed to get through the majority of the support mail though, so I don't feel so guilty about crashing early.
Just need to download some photos...
On the right are some of the fish in CIA's fish tank. There's a shoal tang, yellow tang, blue tang and cleaner wrasse in the picture
Today *sucked*. A job that was meant to take two-three hours took *nine* :( I would seriously like to strangle the designers of Dell's old rack-mounting kits. We spent over an hour trying to mount one of the servers into a rack - the attachment to the rack itself was totally bizarre and non-intuative, and the locking mechanism prevented us from just sliding the server in. It proved to be a long, sweaty, frustrating battle. (This is stark contrast to their new rack-mount kits which clip in in three seconds and the servers slot straight into them).
On a somewhat lighter note, the new switchie box (kvm) worked well with the old one, and we had enough power sockets on the upses to cope with all the new machines. Unfortunately I didn't get time to configure powerchute on the machines that needed it or do some of the windows updates that needed doing. But at least the new rack looks very swishy, I'll post a photo when I have time to take one.
I just realised that I didn't actually scratch the glass, but just the tinting film that's been applied to it. OK I can relax a bit. It's still a pain, but I guess not quite as permanent a problem.
OK I know, it's April, but I finally decided to get around to removing the "Santa Snow" sprayed onto the lounge room window. I tried windex and a soft sponge - no effect. I tried spray and wipe with the same sponge - still no effect. So I tried the back of the sponge-scourer - scrubbing in circles trying to get the darned sticky stuff off. It had some effect, but I thought it was just smudging it into an opaque smear. It was only then that I realised to my horror that I was actually scratching big marks into the glass :(:( Needless to say I am not happy jan! So now I have this Christmas Tree-shaped patch of scratched glass right at eye level. :( Does anyone know how to polish glass?
I was "busy" all day today, but acheived nothing more than a slightly tidied house, and lots of videos watched.
Friday five.. hrm I think I might have trouble with this one
1. Who is your favorite celebrity? I don't really have a favourite at the moment.
2. Who is your least favorite? um..
3. Have you ever met or seen any celebrities in real life? I think the most famous person I've ever seen would be Princess Di - in 1988 for Australia Bicentennary celebrations she and Charles were cruising around Farm Cove on a boat waving to people. The most famous person I've seen up close would probably be David Hasselhoff - completely by fluke in New York, we were walking past a theatre where he was starring in a play and was outside the theatre signing autographs etc
4. Would you want to be famous? Why or why not? Not really.
5. If you had to trade places with a celebrity for a day, who would you choose and why? gee I don't know. How about Emma Watson so I could spend a day on the set of the next Harry Potter movie..? :)
Well ok maybe not quite, but I don't have to go to work tomorrow so it may as well be ;)
Had dinner at Azteca's in Randwick tonight as KinHoong was in town and wanted to catch up with some of his old friends. It was a thoroughly pleasant evening. I had mole palablo (I think!) which was ok but nothing to write home about (just blog about, hehe).
It *rained* today which is great for the city. And the car too, it got a decent soaking. Previous days rain has just rearranged the dirt into little globules, this might have actually washed some of it off.
Anyways I'm gonna crash and enjoy a sleepin.
Nearly got hit by a bicyclist today. In a car that is. I was coming up on a t-intersection that I was planning to turn left at, so I wasn't paying much attention to the left side of the road - I was more worried about traffic coming from the right that I'd have to avoid. That's not to say that I wasn't watching at all, but within a metre or two of the intersection I turned my head to the right, which is when a bicyclist zoomed onto the road next to me from the footpath that he'd been riding on, and just about hit the side of the car. Sheesh!
The irony of it is, my one and only "accident" was at the very same intersection (the only damage done was a broken blinker light on my car). In that instance I was behind a car turning left. It moved into the intersection, so I started moving also, and turned my head to the right to look for oncoming traffic, only to realise too late that the car in front had stopped again. Crunch. Ouch. $30 to replace the blinker casing. I guess I got off lightly :)
1. File taxes as early as possible, or wait until the last possible minute?
I always mean to get them done early, but somehow they always get done at the last minute
2. File electronically, or mail paper forms?
E-tax! Haven't filled in a paper tax return in years
3. Prepare your own taxes, or have someone do it for you?
Do it all myself
4. Are you a saver or a spender?
5. Do you prefer to carry cash, or pay with plastic (credit/debit cards), or by check?
I tend to prefer plastic
6. You're broke and desperately need a job, but the only places that are hiring are retail or fast food places. Which would you pick?
If I were that desperate for a job chances are I wouldn't have a choice anyway. But anyway I don't think care whichever of those two
7. Keeping track of your money: are you more meticulous or careless about it?
I'm fairly careful
8. What do you do if you find yourself with a lot of change weighing down your purse/pocket/wallet? Do you try to spend it to *get rid of it*, or do you put it in a jar or a piggy bank?
I spend it, I try to buy things using exact change when possible
9. Which form of fake money do you like better...Monopoly money or those chocolate coins covered with gold foil?
I like the thick wads of cash you can get with monopoly money, but nothing beats being able to eat your cash :)
10. Thought-provoking question of the week: You find a wallet containing $5,000 in cash, as well as several credit cards and the owner's drivers' license. Your rent is due tomorrow and you're short $200. Do you take the money (some or all of it) and mail back the wallet anonymously...or do you return the wallet with all contents intact?
I'd return it contents intact. Although I'd be sorely tempted to ask the owner for a small bonus for finding it
Marc came over for dinner tonight. Was lovely to see him again after so long (ok well maybe not that long - only a year and a bit). He's been overseas for work/recreation/family/wedding etc and brought over all his photos. He also demonstrated some the Thai massage techniques he learnt while in Thailand :)
I just saw a very cool episode of ER. It was called "Hindsight" and was filmed in reverse .. really! Well each scene was shown before the previous one, so it started at the end of the episode and worked it's way back over the 24 hours previous. I like it when tv shows vary their format, makes them a bit more interesting than if they just follow a standard formula.
Apparently there's a movie that's been done the same way that's supposed to be worth seeing.. Memento .. must see it some time.
Anyway I've missed the post, oops
1. What was the first band you saw in concert?
The Choirboys. There was a competition for schools that the school that sent in the most entries saying "we want the Choirboys at our school" would get the band playing at their school. Amy Abbott (at the time) led the campaign and we won. I remember it being very loud, and I only knew one or two songs.
2. Who is your favorite artist/band now?
hrm that's a toughie, I haven't been obsessed with music for years now. How about John Williams? :)
3. What's your favorite song?
I used to have a list of my favourites. Bohemian Rhapsody, You're the Voice, If I Could, Kokomo, 39, You Could be Mine, Patience, Cracked Actor, Batdance, all pop into my head and were favourites at one time or another.
4. If you could play any instrument, what would it be?
5. If you could meet any musical icon (past or present), who would it be and why?
Probably David Bowie - he was such a big obession of mine for so long.
OK so I'm cruising down the M4 this morning, zipping through the E-way gates in the left of the two lanes (best thing since sliced bread the new toll "gates" on the M4) and as we're merging back to four lanes after the tolls, this truck tries to cut in from the cash lanes. So I move over to the right lane to avoid having to brake. OK so now I'm cruising in the right lane, but they're doing roadworks at the moment and the limit is 60. So I ease off and try not to exceed the ridiculous speed limit by too much. Now this truck moves over right behind me and then just sits right on my tail, obviously wanting me to break the law or get out of his way. Well having already proved himself to be the rudest driver on my trip, I certainly wasn't going to get out of his way. Anyway after a couple of kilometres sitting right up my backside he decides to give up and go around me - just as the speed goes up to 90 again. So of course I take off and leave him behind. For then at least. You can't really get very far very fast on the M4 in peak hour, so I ended up not being more than a couple of cars away from him on my entire trip to work. Bastard.
This afternoon was not much better. I was trying to decide if it's just me (I seem to get tailgaters a lot), or the car I happened to be driving today (which looks as if it should be going a lot faster). But if it is the car, they should realise that my brakes are probably a darned sight better than theirs, and if I had to stop in an emergency they wouldn't have a chance. Neither would have that damned truckie.
I also got to experience the joys of the M5 east tunnel at peak hour today. Picture a 4km tunnel that's not properly ventilated, filled with drivers that seem to panic just because there's a solid wall next to them instead of air. So I'm sitting there averaging 30km/hr in a very warm car with no ventilation to stop the pollution getting in, then as soon as we hit open air it's back up to 80km/hr. Sheesh I wish people could learn to drive sometimes.
wow.. what a rant .. I wonder how I managed to make it home in one piece!
I was going to post this last night, but the day got away from me and I managed about 30 seconds with a computer, not really enough to blog.
I've avoided most of the news coverage of the war in Iraq, but did see repeated footage last night of the US soldiers and the Iraqi people pulling down the statue of Saddam Houssein. It's good to see that so many of the ordinary citizens of Baghdad are happy with the outcome, although I can't help thinking that the media is only showing half the story. Of course we'll probably never know for sure how representative it was.
At any rate, it looks like the war may be drawing to a close, which can only be a good thing.
It's still Tuesday in oz.. normally we don't see the This or That's til Wednesday..
1. Sexier (female)...Pamela Anderson or Jennifer Garner? Well Pamela Anderson is a bit of a turn off, so Jennifer Garner I guess
2. Sexier (male)...Ben Affleck or Matt Damon? Neither really do it for me, but probably Matt Damon more
3. The better piano player...Billy Joel or Elton John? I've seen Billy Joel in concert once and it was awesome, so I'll say him
4. Funnier...David Letterman or Craig Kilborn? Don't watch either
5. The dumber cartoon cat...Stimpy (of *Ren & Stimpy*) or Tom (of *Tom & Jerry*)? Dunno
6. A better news anchor...Tom Brokaw or Dan Rather? Who writes this stuff? More international people, please, some of us have never heard of these dudes
7. A better TV chef...Emeril Lagasse or Jacques Pepin? See above
8. The trashier talk show host...Maury Povich or Jerry Springer? Who knows, never watched them (I don't even think they're on in australia)
9. The worse fast food burger joint...McDonald's or Burger King? I think Burger King makes slightly better burgers (more veggies), but McDonalds have perfected the French Fry
10. Thought-provoking question of the week: Only a handful of U.S. Presidents have been considered to be *great* Of the following two, which one do you consider to be greater...Franklin D. Roosevelt or Abraham Lincoln? Why? Well I couldn't even tell you what Roosevelt achieved in his lifetime, so I guess I'd have to say Lincoln
Well that was a rather silly one (again). If this poor standard keeps up I probably won't keep up This or That.
Dropped into Daniel's this arvo and picked up a bunch of plants for Ding. Daniel's tanks are looking great, and they somehow manage to grow a jungle of plants without even trying. Last time I was there I could see most of the bottom of their 4 foot tank, now it's completely overgrown again. Fiona pulled out a bag full of plants, and the tank didn't look any different for it.
So then I wander over to Chris' to drop them off. His tank is the same age as mine (we filled them within a week of each other), but he's been having trouble with his plants (hence the infusion from Daniel :) )
Then I get home and do a water change, as I just haven't had the chance before now to get to it.
A rather fishy evening :)
Went to blog but the server was down.
Went to bed but the phone rang.
/me stares at the screen.
I blinked and I missed the weekend. Damn I need a holiday and some time to sort through my todo list
OK so I didn't post yesterday - didn't get home til 1am, oops :) CIA party was great. I had a chicken caesar salad, roast duck, and a coconut and passionfruit torte. That, and a little wine and a few cocktails and good company and the whole evening passed by rather pleasantly :) Today disappeared entirely too quickly. I think I need a holiday.
1. How many houses/apartments have you lived in throughout your life? Three
2. Which was your favorite and why? Probably this place, since it's "mine" so to speak
3. Do you find moving house more exciting or stressful? Why? I actually like the packing and unpacking, but I don't like getting sweaty carring boxes and heavy things
4. What's more important, location or price? Both really
5. What features does your dream house have (pool, spa bath, big yard, etc.)? Dream house hey..? Pool and spa sound good. A home theatre room with a decent setup. Lots of storage, and places to display my models etc! Also a kitchen with a dishwasher and lots of bench space.
Lacking inspiration, I delved into JC's archives and found this:
~When was the last time you~
Smiled? Probably within the hour
Laughed? Earlier at Bible study
Cried? A couple of weeks ago
Danced? The other month at a club that Striker dragged Jess and I along to, although we didn't dance much, and only up in a back room in the dark :)
Were Sarcastic? Dunno, I'm not very good at it
Watched your favorite movie? Which favourite movie? hrmm..
Had a nightmare? Last year I think, but it wasn't really a nightmare as such, well I suppose it was, a friend of mine had let me down in it
Last book you read: I'm reading "All Good Things" at the moment
Last movie you saw: On TV, The Green Mile. At the movies.. urp, can't remember
Last song you heard: That I could name, Lose Yourself by Eminem, on the bus
Last thing you had to drink: Apple and Blackcurrent juice
Last time you showered: This morning
Last thing you ate: A piece of chocolate cake
This or That has moved to http://this-or-that.org/.. and takes a turn for the "huh?"
1. The Bogey-Man or Henry Kissinger? in what context?
2. Whips 'n chains or soft ropes with furbound cuffs? I'd probably have to go for the soft stuff
3. Fish sticks or Amazon.com? Well I used to have fish sticks as a kid.. never bought anything from amazon though
4. Whitewall tires or color TV? colour tv
5. Leather or lace? how about both - one under, one over? :)
6. Abraham Lincoln or leftover turkey? er, turkey I guess
7. Movable Type or Star Trek? Star Trek!
8. Happy Happy Joy Joy or Bounce Bounce Bounce like Tigger? Well I've been known to bounce and say "happy happy joy joy"
9. The Michelin Man or the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man? hehe staypuff - we even named the old godzilla/old gamera server staypuff cause it's big and white :)
10. Thought-Provoking Question of the Week: If you HAD to marry one of the talking M&M's in the TV commercials, would it be the red one or the yellow one? Why? What are their personalities again? I think the tall one is nice but a bit dumb? I think I'd prefer someone more outgoing/ambitious/self confident
urgh guys what are you doing, these are just getting weird!
Lacking inspiration tonight (well actually I had a few ideas that I might have talked about, but one in particular is one of those stories that might come back to bite me if anyone I knew read it), I tried blogideas.com. Their idea for the day is "How long do you think you will live?"
I'm actually hoping not to get old. I don't think I could cope with not being able to take care of myself or get myself around. Especially as my prospects of having family to take care of me are next to zero. When I was doing my honours year I was working such fun things as Ethidium Bromide, which is a lovely carcinogenic chemical that works by getting right into your DNA. It also glows under UV light, hence it's use in genetics work. I was convinced at the time I was going to die young of cancer.
I still think I'm just as likely to die of cancer, or more likely, heart disease - I eat far too many fatty foods!
Wow. I haven't finished watching The Green Mile yet unfortunately, but what I've seen of it has been pretty intense. Can't wait to see the end of it.
I just put on "The Green Mile" but I don't think it's going to get finished tonight. It's supposed to be good, but I still haven't cooked dinner yet, and George is coming over later so bring photos of her new nephew so we can upload the pics to the web. Oh well, at least it's a start, I've had it on tape since last year (there's even an ad for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and the final episode of 24 on there ! )