June 06, 2004

Canmore to Canmore, still

Lake Louise, Banff National Park

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate my father? His petulance lost me my camera's shade hood today. But back to that later.

I think I got about three hours sleep last night. Maybe more, but it certainly didn't feel like it.

Weather was cloudy but we went back to Lake Louise to try it in the morning. Not much improvement without blue sky. It clouded over considerably after that and all the way up the Icefields Parkway was grey. Actually closer to white. Was hard to see where the snow finished and the sky started.

On the way up we saw a family of very black bears - a mother and three cubs. Was pretty cool but we couldn't really stop - and by the time we had we couldn't see them anymore.

Then we went up to the Columbia Ice Field, or at least a glacier of it. For $29.95 inc tax you can go out onto the glacier in a big snowmobile thing. It was pretty cool.

After that decided it was a long way back to Canmore, so we left. Just as it started raining the whole way back. We saw a couple of grizzly bears, or at least their backs over a mound of earth by the side of the road. But then we saw the same mother and three cubs on the other side of the road. Even managed to get a couple of photos of them before they disappeared into the forest.

So by the time we got back to Banff I was busting to go to the loo. But Dad wanted to go see this cave in town. Fine. Except the place was closed and there was no open toilet. So Dad says to noone in particular "do you want to go and see the cave?" and I said "well let's get it over and done with cause I need to go to the loo". He took this to mean "no" and turned around and went back to the car. What a childish prat. So mum and I decided to say "screw it" to his immature behaviour and went up to try and find this cave anyway. We walked all around the place trying to find it and eventually realised that a barred off hole in the ground was actually the top entrance to the cave and to get inside you had to pay $4 and go through the visitors centre. Yay. Knowing that Dad was likely to be in a foul mood I decided to take a photo of it to prove that he really didn't miss anything. Except that in the process I accidently dropped the camera's shade hood. Now Murphy dictates that whatever can go wrong will, and of course of the whole amount of ground it could have fallen on, it happened to fall over where the hole was. So now it's probably gone forever. We'll probably drop in there when the place opens tomorrow morning, but I'm not holding out much hope. It's most likely been washed out into the river. Thoroughly depressed now. I'm so sick of Dad it's not funny. And we're exactly half way through our trip now. I suppose I can console myself that at the moment the weather is rainy and I'm not likely to be taking photos directly into the sunlight too much for a while anyway.

Posted by kazza at June 6, 2004 12:33 PM