Results tagged “iPhone” from Kazza the Blank One
Nothing much of note to report lately.
Had a weekend at the club for one of the long weekends. Stu worked on his assignment and Heather, Lynn and I cleaned out the office. It looks sooo much better now!
Had a bit of a walk last week to try and get the step count up. Saw cool skies and fairy rings of flowers and swanlings.
Had a dinner with the sweetie at Pappa Rich in town last week which was nice enough.
Popped into Kit's when we got home. Chloe was there with her new iPhone 7 which does take pretty good low light photos
Last weekend had a dinner at EffanC's and Scott came too and we just chatted all evening which was nice.
Other than that, I finished sorting Lego and picking out pieces for all the sets. Now I'm putting them all together. Fun times.
So I upgraded my phone from 6.1.4 to 9.1 on Sunday night.
Yeah yeah yeah, shut up.
I spent ages and ages on the weekend making sure I had everything backed up. Because given my history with iTunes, there was no way I was going to trust my content to Apple.
As it turned out, I did get errors.
I tried upgrading iTunes (my phone was a brick at this point).
And in the end it did in fact want to completely wipe my phone.
But then it upgraded ok, and restored the backup ok.
So far the only thing I've noticed that I've lost was all the gold I'd spent months accumulating on Candy Crush. So was pretty pissed off about that. But at least all my other rewards and my level were maintained.
Having not ever used 7 or 8, the "new" interface is new to me for the first time. The calendar and photo sorting differences have been around for a while, but are new to me.
Things I like:
* I do like the photo sorting. Rather than one big folder of thumbnails, now they're separated by date and location. Much easier now to find and clear photos.
* the predictive text feature that I've seen on Android is there, although I've not really used it.
* the clock actually works on the home screen now! And it even has a second hand!
* it *seems* like the battery life is a lot better
* EDIT: OMG! You can see all the attachments on SMSes!! Will be easy to go through and remove excess crap
Things I'm not sure about:
* not sure I like the new icons
* the music player is no longer on the left of the home screen, and doesn't come with a double click from the lock screen unless you already have it open
* reminder alerts don't go away from your lock screen until you've actually swiped them to unlock/read. But at least swiping to open an SMS actually opens the messages app and doesn't just unlock the phone and then expect you to load messages after that.
Things I really don't like:
* the notes application has now split up my notes based on some arbitrary decision about whether they're in my mail file or on the phone. Dumb dumb dumb. Just give me a notes file. I'm constantly having to switch between the two views of notes to see the notes in the two different locations.
* lack of consistency in switching between *stuff*. Want to switch between an app? Scroll left and right. Want to switch tabs in Safari? Scroll up and down. Completely retarded. Plus the animation is too enthusiastic and you end up scrolling past apps, or accidentally closing them when you meant to scroll left or right instead of up or down.
* lack of response to clicking the home button or scrolling. Previously when I clicked the home button to unlock, the screen popped up straight away. Now it can take up to a full second before the screen comes up, making me think I haven't pressed it properly. And previously swiping between home screens was quite sensitive and responsive. Now sometimes it just doesn't swipe until you've *really* swiped - otherwise it'll just bounce back to the screen you were on. Super annoying. EDIT: This mainly seems to be after unlocking the screen. Presumably when unlocking the screen it starts up a bunch of processes to do *stuff* when unlocked.
* I've really not liked the calendar interface since iOS 7 (when seeing it on other phones). iOS 6's calendar let you show a month at a time, and when you clicked on a day it showed you the events at the bottom. Simple, and it didn't change layouts around. Now you *can* get a month view, but if you click on day you get taken to a list view that shows all events in a list. Yuk. And actually part of the reason I put off upgrading my phone.
* photo location map. This was a super cool feature that showed you on a map where all your photos were taken. I have photos all over the world on this phone and it was cool to see on a map. Don't know if this feature is still there but hidden, or gone forever.
* EDIT: really not liking the reminders anymore. Just clunky and awkward to use now.
Really the main reason for upgrading was just too many apps these days need iOS 7 or later to work. So I had to bite the bullet and do it...
Last Saturday we went over to EffanC's to celebrate C's (ahem) 25th. So that was a lovely afternoon of drinking bubbly and chatting. In the evening we watched Juno on the big screen.
Last Sunday Chrispycon and Anne were in town from Hong Kong, so we met up with them and a bunch of their friends at Manuka for drinks.
Last night was a BBQ at Kit's, just because.
In between has been working, house cleaning, fish buying, mandarin learning, cooking.
Yesterday I was feeling completely overwhelmed by the state of the house. So Stu wisely told me to just work on one pile, which I did. So that was good.
Dad's photo scanning is coming along. I'm up to 260 out of the thousand-odd needing to be scanned. I'm half way through his photos of our Kangaroo Island holiday in 1994.
Stu has bought a heap of plants and some native fish for his four foot tank. I've gotten some danios for the two foot, and some more danios to start again on the "angel" tank. Stu has also setup a tiny little tank with some cherry red shrimp which are very cute.
I've pulled apart the Ingress Lego logos. I'm really wanting to find a new mosaic design to use. The current big mosaic was made in February 2009!! And has been hung up in the spare room since November 2009. That's just insane.
And tonight I've got a better than average chance of completely bricking my phone by upgrading it from 6.1.4 to 9.1. I might have spent ages today making sure I have everything that I care about backed up off it.
So I decided today to export all the blood pressure readings (and heart rate and weight) from the app I've been using for the past four years (iBP Tracker by Finger Taps). Turns out the export to email function doesn't actually work. Neither does the online backup option.
So I was forced to go through each day's entry and manually record it elsewhere.
I got through the past month, which is what I want to take to the doctor.
What a piece of crap. Guess what application I *won't* be using anymore.
Another thing I realised tonight is how much crap I have on my computer. At least twenty year's worth.
I did find this list of quotes (file was last saved 16.10.97) which I remember well..
Life is short and DNA is long
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence
An optimist: someone who hasn't been given all the facts yet
Friction is a drag
Very funny Scotty. Now beam up the clothes!
Recycle!! Today's garbage is tommorrow's world!
Marriage is grand. Divorce? 20 grand.
Marriage - it's not just a word, it's a sentence!
Hello? Constipation Hotline? Yes, I can hold...
Support mental health... or I'll *KILL* you
If you're 1 in a million, there's a thousand Chinese just like you.
No matter where you go, there you are.
Psychic midget escapes from prison... Small Medium at Large!
World to end at 10pm! Film at 11
Floggings will continue until morale improves.
Who tested Preperations A through G, and why??
9 out of 10 men who try CAMELs prefer women.
8 out of 10 people suffer from hemmorhoids. The other 2 enjoy them.
Who is All, and why does he get so much mail??
Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive??
Who is General Protection, and why does he always find fault??
Who is Joy, and why does everyone jump for her??
Who is Will, and why should I fire at him??
Warning : Breathing may be hazardous to your health!
Shin : device for finding furniture in the dark
Stick : A boomerang that doesn't work
No trespassing... prosecutors will be violated!
Warning : research causes cancer
Ok, I pulled the pin, now what? Hey, where are you going??
When I get bored, I beam myself back and forth - Worf
The only way to avoid temptation is to yield to it.
Today's subliminal message sponsered by : Ben Dover
Today's subliminal message sponsered by : Justin Hale
Today's subliminal message sponsered by : Mike Rotch
Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular.
The world is like a kleenex.. you use it, then you throw it away.
Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's... no, it's a bird.
2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do.
Tonight's forecast : darkness, followed by light.
In God we trust. All others require a credit check.
If practice makes perfect and noone's perfect, then why practice?
I clocked my phone last night.
Ten thousand photos taken on my phone in two and a half years (although a number of those were on my last phone that were ported over to the new one).
Work has been super stressful the last little while. On Friday night stayed back a little trying to resolve a problem for someone, which I did, so that was a relief leading into the weekend. In fact I was just packing up to go when EffanC called to see if we wanted to go out for dinner. Sounded great! So we went into Mezzalira. I'd never actually been there before. At C's suggestion we had the five course degustation menu with matched wines. On my! So delicious. A really great meal.
Pan seared scallops with smoked eel and jerusalem artichoke
Tortellini in sage butter
Mushroom risotto with truffle oil
Saturday was a nice quiet day at home.
In the evening we went to the Ha Ha Bar for drinks for Kit's birthday. It's not the sort of place that's really designed for that sort of gathering though - it's more a restaurant than a bar, so they say they do table service, but if we'd waited for table service we never would have gotten drinks. And when I went to order some nibbles they said they'd come over and take food orders, but they never did so didn't end up getting food. Anyway things settled down a bit when we all just went to the bar for drinks, and several platters of fries were ordered. Pool at the Lighthouse afterwards. A good fun evening.
Today was another quiet day of getting things done around the house. In the afternoon we went for a walk to hack some portals and do some missions, then did a little food shopping. Cooked honey mustard chicken for dinner. Yum!
So nothing of any particular significance for May 16 this year.
OMG I HATE iTunes SO MUCH.
The latest drama: trying to unlock my phone from Optus. Apple in their infinite wisdom dictated that the only way to unlock your phone from your provider is to do a backup and then a restore of the phone. How retarded is that on every level? The last time I tried to do it it wiped an app off my phone and I lost all my UK 2010 GPS tracks. I was devastated.
Tonight I was having another go at it on my new phone. I dutifully backed up the phone, then hit the restore button. Except I got an error:
"iTunes could not restore the iPhone "Kazza the Blank One" because not enough free space is available on the iPhone".
Except there was over a gig free.
So I *BATTLED* clearing things off it. Photos are easy enough through Windows Explorer, but podcasts, music and audiobooks play hard to get, and it's not intuitive how to do it. Had to fight and fight with it to remove the files.
Got to nearly 3.5 Gb free. But do you think the phone will restore? NO! I renamed the backup file directory and did a whole new backup. Both directories were only 6Gb in size. Still it wouldn't restore.
So now I'm going on yet another trip where my phone won't onlock and I'll be forced to use Global Roaming if I want to use my phone at all.
Apple, you SUCK!!!!
Edit. I deleted another couple of gigs of photos to get it to more than 6Gb free, which was the size of the backup directory. Now it seems to be restoring..... Let's see if Apple screws me over in some other way next ...
These were taken with my iPhone... *my iPhone* !!!
Slightly cropped, but otherwise just resized
More closely cropped, a little bit resized
"Updating to iOS 6.0 will delete all the apps and media, including iTunes Store purchases on your iPhone. To preserve your content, apply this update on the computer where you sync apps, music, videos and photos. Updating on this computer will only preserve contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings. Please do not interrupt the update, which may take an hour or more to complete."