Results tagged “Food” from Kazza the Blank One

OMFG!  Not backdating!! ;)

Monday.  Slept ok.  Ok day I guess.  In the evening I got up to labelling the photo of sad bean!  This was a baked bean Stu had at breakfast one morning on our UK 2010 holiday.  It had a crease and a couple of specks of pepper at just the right spots to make the bean look like it had a sad face.  Stu couldn't bear to eat sad bean, and I don't like baked beans, so that poor little bean didn't get eaten, which was even sadder!  I might have had a little sad ten years later just labelling the photo I took of it :(:(

Sad bean is sad!

Up to episode 7 of Against the Wind.

Tuesday.  Hurty woke me up and kept me awake for an hour and a half.  But otherwise slept ok. 

<work rant snipped>

But look!  Itty bitty Cape Weed flower!

Itty bitty Cape Weed flower

Leftovers for dinner, UK labelling and episode 8 of Against the Wind.

Wednesday.  All the stoopid.  I don't even remember what now.  I ranted to Stu over a drink at Beirut Bunker Bar and pushed it from my memory.  

Beirut Bunker Bar Canberra

Stopped in at the markets on the way home to go to the chemist, and the sweetie even cooked dinner! :)

I thought this looked pretty cool - looks a bit like the Matterhorn!
Markets Matterhorn?

Thursday.  Filled with rage at someone watching Bathurst near me at work without a headset - not even at their desk, but in our area because their own desk is outside the exec offices and that would look bad.  And three or four conversations going on around me meant for NOISE and I seriously nearly lost it.  Fortunately I have the bestest boss ever and he went and muted Bathurst for me so I didn't go postal.  Watched the second episode of the French sun documentary.

Neil and I saw these at lunch on Thursday.  Not a huge amount of information on the Beam website, you need to download the app to find out useful stuff, you know, like where you can ride them.  45c/minute introductory rate to ride one.  Wonder how well they'll last.  I wouldn't mind taking one for a trip around the lake :)
Beam scooters

Friday.  Deleting all the things!  Did a massive cleanup of routes in the morning, and cleared out a big decommissioned app in the afternoon.  In between I had lunch at Herbert's with Tony and the Chrises.  Big lunch, so dinner was a small serving of popcorn (needed some fibre to counteract all the meat I had at lunch).  Watched Arrietty in the evening, which we last (first) saw at the movies in 2012.  The movie is based on the "The Borrowers" books which really annoys me as a title because they're not borrowing, they're *stealing*.  Just sayin!

Saturday.  Slept well.  A day of All The Things.  We did do a quick Bunnings run and food shop.  I'd already voted during the week so didn't get a democracy sausage (I think a lot of places aren't doing them anyway), but Bunnings has started up their sausage sizzles again, but they load the sauces for you.  So not quite as pretty as a photo as my actual democracy sausage featured on Atlas (Gastro) Obscura :)

Bunnings sausage

Stu cooked dinner which was lovely of him - grilled eggplant with a sauce of miso, mirin, and sake.  Quite yummy.

Sweetie's eggplant

In the evening we watched the first episode of season 3 of Discovery.  I enjoyed the first season, but the second season just got way too convoluted and hard to follow.  The first episode of this season was fine, hopefully this season won't be as complicated as the last.  Up to episode 9 of Against the Wind.  

Sunday.  Today.  For once I'm not backdating.. craziness I know!  Woke up at 3:45 to go to the loo but didn't get back to sleep for hours.  At 4:51 I got up to have some cheese because I was hungry.  Apparently just a little bit of eggplant and rice isn't enough to keep me full all night.  I did eventually get a bit more sleep, including have a dream that I was staying at Dooce's house, and it was *massive* and Stu for some reason was sleeping in some other building on the *campus*, and I was talking to Leta about what life was like being the daughter of such a famous blogger.  So a pretty slow start.  Did a few things on the todo list.  I was going to do some more Lego part picking of Vic's sets, but by the time I'd gotten the files organised and found the sets and gone through them for what they had already it was after lunch.  Then we went and visited Annie/Stu/Immy, and then came home and did cooking and photo processing and blogging and suddenly it's nearly dinner time.  Hrmmmmm.

Backdating, cause I'm a slacker ;)

Tuesday.  Woke up at 5am for over an hour.  Meh day at work.  Taco Tuesday.

Wednesday.  Woke up at like 4am.  Crazy intense day of meetings.  Rollout planned for the afternoon didn't work.  Part of it we had no idea why, another part we realised before we started it wasn't going to work so didn't go ahead.  Meanwhile all my other work is slipping.  Hrmm.  After the failed rollout Neil and I went to the Labor Club (first time since last year!) and debriefed over a bottle of bubbles.  We actually came up with some ideas.  For dinner I cooked chicken thighs, with a lemon/butter/thyme sauce inspired by @phonakins.

Lemon thyme chicken

Lemon thyme chicken

Had a game of Kismet with Kit and Pete, that Pete won, but no UK photo labelling.

Thursday.  No slide scanning other than finishing off yesterday's roll (*going* to work sux!!  Doesn't leave me nearly enough time in the mornings (or evenings)).  Watched the second episode of Against the Wind.

Friday.  Woke up at 4:40.  OK day.  It was actually pretty quiet (some hardware problems had a lot of people offline that would usually be sending me work).  In fact I wandered off for an hour and a half in the afternoon to get stuff done around the house.   See, working from home is much more efficient.  I can flex off for an hour or two when the workload is light.  If I was *at* work I'd have to hunt around for things to do.  Not that I don't have any shortage of things to do, my todo list is a hundred years long, but sometimes on a Friday afternoon you'd rather just be tidying the house.  Did a Bunnings run and some food shopping (omfg Coles was closed! Some eftpos issue affecting their stores nationwide, so we went to Aldi, and fortuntely they had a caramel mudcake that I wanted to get for David's birthday), and may have had the Scottish Restaurant for dinner.  Watched episode 3 of Against the Wind.  Had to laugh and the really bumpy camerawork while they were following people walking/on horseback - no steadycams in 1978!!  

Saturday.  Slept in til 6:20!!  Felt so much better.  Got ready then basically just started prepping lunch.  There might have been a slightly epic lamb roast for the little brother's birthday lunch :)

Lamb roast for David's birthday

A few peeps came over to wish him a happy birthday :)

David's birthday

David's cake

I might have eaten too much ;)  

Watched some more Against the Wind, but I have to keep stopping it to go look up the history (the series was based on actual events).  In the evening we watched David Attenborough's Witness Statement, which was completely depressing for the first half.  There was more of a message of hope in the second half.  Stop breeding.  Check.  Go solar.  Coming soon.  Eat less meat.  Need to work on that one.

Sunday.  Mostly decent sleep.  Just did All The Things all day.  Managed to chip one of the good bowls while doing the washing up which gave me an epic sad.  I searched and searched everywhere for that chip but never found it.  I was hoping to minimise the impact by supergluing it back on, but it vanished off the face of the earth :(  In the evening we shared a bottle of McGuigan's shiraz that I bought on our Hunter Valley trip in 2012, and funnily enough I was wearing the same tshirt Sunday as the day I bought it :) 


Watched the first episode of a French documentary on the sun, and episode 6 of Against the Wind.

Beef Brisket

| | Comments (0)

Getting my recipe refined/simplified.  This was from when I cooked it two weeks ago.

This has a liquid rub of
~1 tbsp bbq sauce
~1 tsp worcesteshire sauce
~1/2 tsp liquid smoke
mixed and rubbed on the brisket to make a sticky base for the dry rub

Then a dry rub of
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp cumin powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder

That was about a 1kg piece of brisket.


So ugly but so good!!


Served with spiced cauliflower - salt, pepper, paprika, cumin and roasted for about half an hour

Spiced cauliflower

Backdating cause I'm an epic slacker!

Monday.  Slept well.  Should have been a good start to the week right?  Except I logged onto work and my Notes profile had been completely blatted which made me all kinds of grumpy.  Then I bit my mouth *hard* while eating an apple for morning tea.  Too many stoopid useless waste of time meetings.  Stu had some Ikea shelves delivered, but turns out he'd mixed up the height/width measurements, so they weren't going to fit like he thought.  Yeah I was pretty pissed off by the end of the day.  David and Stu built the shelves.  The third one in the set didn't fit there, but we did find another spot for it in the room which actually works out ok.

New shelves

There were fields of yellow though..

Golden fields

And storms and rainbows and stuff..

Double rainbow


Double rainbow

This was more like the real colour of the sky

Double rainbow

Tuesday.  Slept well.  Actually had a good day at work.  Got a bunch of tickets done, decided I was going to build some servers, did up all the doco/paperwork for them, got them built and configured, ready for Neil to play with.  David also went to Fyshwick and got me a new fish tank lid to replace the one I smashed - bestest brother ever!!!   But $25 for a single piece of glass though - ouch!  I remember when you could get whole tanks for that price.  He also mowed some of the lawn until the bin got too heavy.  Have I mentioned I have the bestest brother ever??  He and Stu also had a fiddle with the stoopidly expensive 4' fish tank LED lights - one of the transformers had gone POP the other week.  Completely non-standard of course and irreplacable.  

Wednesday.  All the stoopid.  

Thursday.  Actually went to work.  Pot Belly for drinks.  They really need to open up work drinks again - $39 for a round for three people *hurts*.  Came home and watched the Simpsons episode on video game violence, followed immediately by the High Score episode on video game violence.  heh.  Finished Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo.

Friday.  Thoroughly grumpy with the world.  Had been fighting all week with Dream11 - some sports betting company in India.  Some retard signed up with my gmail email address and I couldn't get it shut down and I couldn't get onto their support forms because they either redirected away from the form depending what option you tried, or the captcha wouldn't load, or if it did load the form wouldn't actually submit.  I was getting more and more frustrated and angry.  But I finally finally, after a week, managed to get the form to submit.  They wouldn't remove my email address from their systems no no no, buttplugs, but they did at least suspend the account and promise not to ever spam me.


We might have made evil nachos for dinner.

Evil nachos

Watched Tales from Earthsea in the evening which I quite enjoyed.  Stu had read all the books.  I wouldn't mind reading them.

Saturday.  Housework and slide scanning in the morning.  Mostly finances in the afternoon.  Cooked epic beef brisket all afternoon.  

Watched the last episode of High Score in the evening.

Sunday.  Productive day doing All The Things.  Well not all.  That never happens.  But a lot.  Roast lamb for dinner, but hardly any leftovers, whoops.

Backdating, story of my life ;)

So where were we?  I'd been sick.  Starting Friday afternoon, most of Saturday in bed or sitting in the car.  On Sunday I felt a little better although super tired on account of very little sleep.  I decided it would depend how much sleep I got whether I would feel up to going to work on Monday.

Monday.  I actually slept really well - and for nine hours!  I was feeling a lot better, so thought I'd go to work, and go have a lie down if things got too much.  But I was actually ok all day so that was nice.

Front door view

Had all my UK photo labelling done before dinner which was good.  Had a bit more of a think about hosting and gallery apps.  Had a serious meltdown because I was feeling underappreciated for all the cooking and cleaning I do.

And the kitchen light fitting caught this epic centipede.


Tuesday.  Woke up at 3:30 and never got back to sleep *sigh*.  Did a bit of UK photo labelling but stopped at Stonehenge - because a couple of hundred photos will basically just be a copy/paste so will be very quick to do.  Instead I was looking at cameras (mmm Sony A7C) and playing with Geosetter (see Geosetting for Fun and Pleasure).  

Wednesday.  Slept well.  Seems I can only sleep well every other day.  Got myself a gmaps api key (see previous geosetting link).

Thursday.  Slept well.  Two nights in a row!  Went into work for the day - six months to the day that I started working from home.  Went up to Pot Belly for drinks after work.  Watched the second episode of the Netflix show "High Score" (watched the first one the other night, not sure when).

Friday.  Woke up at ~1am til well after 4am *sigh*.  I'd planned to take a random day off, which was going to be a bit sucky to be so tired through.  Had a bit of a slow start then got stuck into my day.  I thought I'd do some fish tank stuff in the morning, then maybe some tax stuff in the afternoon.  Well the fish stuff took All. Day.  I started with the upstairs two foot (and managed to smash the lid in the sink when I was cleaning it :(:(:( ), moved onto Chrissie's tank after a break, then the angel tank (with no angels in it), and finally the downstairs two foot.  With an hour at work in the afternoon for a meeting.  I had plans for the other tanks too, I just ran out of time. 


I also took photos of the new bracket David installed out the back for the clothes line.  This way you can extend the line only half way out - where it's all under cover - so if it's going to be rainy it'll stay out of the elements.  Have I ever mentioned I have the bestest brother ever?  And this was after he mowed the front lawn as well.  He's just too awesome :)

Under cover line

Under cover line

Caught a bus into town (second bus in six months).  Met up with the sweetie and Damien who were having a drink, then we went to Happy's for dinner.

Stu at Happy's

Came home and watched third episode of High Score.

Saturday.  Slept well!  Hurrah!  I didn't think I would on account of all the meat I had for dinner at Happy's.  Stu was still sick though.  He had a full week at home off sick, then all this week he was still coughing and spluttering, but his work would still rather he went to the office than work from home and keep his germs to himself.  Silly people.  

Just a man and his lizard

Did quite a lot of stuff on the todo list - which worked out to mostly fixing up slide scanning (the dust and scratch filter is sometimes a bit too enthusiastic and blats out real details, so have to redo those with no filter), photo processing, and blogging.  We felt like wedgies for dinner, so that's what we had!  With lots of sour cream and sweet chili sauce.  Watched the fourth episode of High Score, then Spirited Away, which I first (and last saw) in 2005 in Brisbane.  I had no memories at all of it.  Hurrah for dementia.  Hrmm.

Home made wedgies

Sunday.  Hurty kept me awake for hours in the middle of the night so that sucked.  Bit of a nothing day in the end.  Did a bit of blogging.  

Petal snow

David brought home a packet of Dinner Winner, so I had to make that for our dinner :)  Watched a documentary on Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the evening.

Dinner Winner

Not backdated, but no photos, will update with photos later.

Monday.  Noticed the sucking cat fish hadn't moved from yesterday.  I put my hand in the tank to poke it to see if it was alive, and it was COLD!!  15C!!  Fricken heater must have died.  No wonder the angel had died.  And the cory looked pretty sick too, and they hadn't eaten the algae wafer I gave them on Saturday.  Brought up a little heater from the empty two foot from downstairs.  But after being plugged in and running all day, the tank had only risen a couple of degrees in temperature.  Did my quota of UK labelling, washing up and finished a jigsaw by 19:30, so on to cull Tumut photos for the blog.

Ya great galah

Tuesday.  Had to go into work - first time I'd done any work in the office since May.  I'd rather be at home.  But did go and have Kingsleys with the guys which was nice.  After lunch was a very draining meeting with vendors.  Blerf.  Meanwhile it's all happening for Kit and Pete - sold two houses and bought another in the space of a couple of weeks!  Cooked Coles chicken kievs and home-made wedgies.  Got quota of UK photos labelled (finished day 22), but didn't have the energy for Tumut photo culling.

Wednesday.  Turned the heater on in the morning but nothing happened.  It's been so warm these past few days.  It was still 19 in the house (heater was on 17).  Fish tank still slowly warming up.  However it was a cold day, and the house didn't warm up at all from the sun, in fact it kept getting colder, so turned the heater on (up to 18).

When you open your front door and this is what you see...
Front door view

Thursday.  Scanned the 100th box of Dad's slides.  The fish tank had actually cooled down again overnight :(  That little 25W heater is just not up to the task.  I found a bigger one downstairs, but it hadn't been plugged in in forever, so wouldn't trust the seals on it, so mounted it so it wouldn't be submerged.  It managed to heat up the tank quite nicely.  Also after relative peace and quiet for the past month or so, one of the neighbours dogs has started barking on and on and on again.  Epic #grunt.  Went to the chemist at lunch, and did a couple of hundred dollars worth of shopping while waiting.  Whoops.  Watched start of Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo.

I didn't buy this but maybe I should have!
Smells like burnt rope doused in seawater

I did actually buy this because Scott and Dee had some at the club back in July - very nice!
Dead mans fingers spiced rum

Friday.  Morning was fine.  But afternoon was crap.  Couldn't get stuff to work, stoopid firewall is still being stoopid, and had that telltale feeling of getting sick - sore throat, coughing, just not feeling right.  I should point out that Stu came down sick on Sunday, four days after last contact with David, but he hadn't had contact with anyone else since then.  So we knew it wasn't going to be covid, but he was so sick he ended up taking the entire week off.  And he got a covid test.  And it was negative.  Like we knew it would be.  But it was fairly inevitable that I'd get sick too.  And I did.  Sigh.  Stu cooked dinner - some of my mince mix with peri peri sauce for a nice warmth, on toast with cheese.  Watched The Cat Returns which was a bit of fun, and the return of The Baron!

My local floriade

Saturday.  Woke up very early.  But my body is allergic to actual sleep.  Lay in bed all morning, alternating between pretending to sleep and colouring in Happy Colour.  Went back to bed for a bit after lunch.  The sweetie felt like going on a drive, so sat in the car and we drove around Denman Propect and the Cotter and came back via Uriarra Crossing.  Nice drive with the sweetie. 


Denman Prospect

Coppins Crossing

Denman Prospect

Denman Prospect



Cotter Dam

Cotter River bridge

Cotter picnic area

Cotter Dam

Uriarra Crossing

Canberra sewage treatment plant

Stu cooked dinner using some more of my mince, cabbage, sushi rice and seasonings.  He called his Japanese inspired chop suey.  It was tasty and everyone went back for seconds.

Stu's Japanese inspired chop suey

Sunday.  Went to bed early, but only managed an hours sleep by 3:30.  Got a few hours after that.  My body refuses to sleep at the best of times, but add not being able to breath and a sore spine and I've got no hope.  Another day of laying in bed all morning not sleeping.  David cooked ham and cheese panckes for lunch.  This afternoon was just blogging and we have a lamb roast in the oven for dinner.

Ham and cheese pancakes

Roast lamb

Backdating, and also no photos yet, I just haven't processed them yet.  At some point you should reload the September page, as there's going to be a bunch of backdated posts and updates with photos.

So Monday had peeps over for pizza for Stu's L'th.  So no UK photo labelling.

Tuesday.  Back to work.  Sigh.  Also.  David is sick with a cold.  Spent the entire night processing photos and blogging for previous weeks, so no UK photo labelling.

Wednesday.  David went for a covid test (it's not going to be covid), picked up supplies, then went home.  Once again photo processing and blogging so no UK photo labelling.

Thursday watched Herbie Rides Again, which was very silly, but the best part was Helen Hayes playing basically the same sweet little old lady as in Flying High.  David's covid test was negative (we knew it would be).

Friday.  Awake for hours in the middle of the night.  Hurrah.  Ok day.  Watched Princess Mononoke, which I found really quite irritating.  Normally there's good guys and bad guys in a story, but in this one everyone is a bit of both, so it's like, do we like these characters or not?  And ultimately no consequences for being evil, the "bad guys" (if you can call them that) win and carry on as before.  Urgh.  So annoying.  

Saturday.  Ploughed through the todo list.  Lost the my angel fish which was pretty sad.  Happy one day, dying the next.  Sigh.  Watched the original Mulan (we don't have premium so can't see the new one yet).  

White pea plants

Sunday.  Ploughed through the todo list. 

Blue tongue in the back yard

Dragonfly in the back yard

In the afternoon cooked for three hours straight.  Cooked up taco mince for during the week.  Cooked up a kilo pack of mince with onion, garlic and bacon to be used with whatever takes our fancy.  Cooked up some chicken thighs to have with Pataks later in the week.  And also cooked the sunday roast - tuscan drumsticks, potato bake, roast pumpkin, zucchini and carrot. 

Cooking all the food

Tuscan drumstick roast

In the evening watched My Neighbours the Yamadas.  Man the Ghibli films keep going downhill.  Not even a movie as such, just an animated comic book where each character gets a chance to show how it sux to be them.  I had restless legs the entire way through, and made the sweetie come sit with me instead of just playing his game so he could see what I had to suffer through.  Yeup.

A pig's gotta fly

| | Comments (0)

Still backdating ;)

Tuesday.  Slept ok, woke up on time. 



Tree guys came in the morning and trimmed our hedge back.  I told them to be brutal.  They complied.

Hedge before

Hedge after

Insanely crazy busy the rest of the day.  Although maybe I wouldn't have felt so bad if I'd been able to do my work in peace without ten different people talking to me non-stop all afternoon.  Sigh.  Watched the very last episode of Fuller House.  It was such a pity they could never get the Olsen twins to put in an appearance, because they had the rest of the cast which was just amazing to have the same group of people still working together for well over thirty years.  I don't know of any other show like it that has done anything remotely like what they did.  Just amazing.  Loved it.  Finished Day 19 of UK photo labelling.

Wednesday.  Slept ok.  Tackled the ticket queue I'd been ignoring yesterday afternoon, and played whack-a-mole with it most of the day.  Super heavy rain a couple of times during the day.  It was like night time, day time, night time, day time.  I watched the last two episodes of The Miraculous Mellops - and I was right about who the new Grand Baby was ;)  We also started on The Simpsons on Disney+.

Floriade site

Thursday.  Rage quit over people hassling me to do stuff.  I have this irrational rage at people that hassle me to do stuff while I'm literally doing stuff for them.  Then there were the people who hassled me in one system, and not five minutes later hassled me with direct messaging as well.  Drives me nuts.  Watched Derren Brown's The Push.  The whole Weekend at Bernie's reference had me cacking myself.  But I can't believe it could all be real.  Those people weren't showing any remorse or trauma at all.  If it was real, there should be arrests.  Seriously.  

Friday.  Up to episode three of The Simpsons.  But getting really annoyed at the cropping they did to get it onto 16:9 screens.  So I Googled that crap.  As of May, Disney+ had set a toggle switch so you can watch it the original aspect ratio.  Much more betterer!  Then watched Porco Rosso which I actually really enjoyed.  It has flying in it, but it's more realistic.  

Saturday.  Housework.  All.  Day.  Stu found a recipe for a vegan lasagna that said something like twenty minutes prep time.  It took him three hours.   !!  Craziness.  Had Nelson and Susan over for dinner.  Had a game of Roborally which Susan won, and a couple of games of Fluxx.

The sweetie making vegan lasagna

Not actually a vegan cake - they used eggs from chickens they knew
Not vegan cake


I won this game of Fluxx

Sunday.  Bit of a late night but not too crazy.  But woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep.  Hardly did anything all day.  Roast pork for dinner.  Watched Pom Poko in the evening.  OMFG what a completely bizarre movie.  Really didn't like this one very much.


Epic pork crackling

Charred brussels sprouts

Monday.  Woke up at 5:59 - right on time!  Ok day for a Monday.  Spent all evening trying to sort out accomodation in Tumut for the next weekend.  The problem with small places is their websites are very amateurish.  Sefton House said there were three different queen rooms, but it really wasn't clear which ones had ensuites and which had "exclusive" bathrooms.  And they never answered the query I sent them.  The caravan park looked like they had some lovely cabins by the river, but it was basically impossible to tell which cabin you were trying to book on their online web form.  At least they did respond (eventually) to my query, but the ones we wanted were all booked out.  I actually didn't want to commit to anything too far in advance - I didn't want to be up for a few hundred dollars if one of us got sick and we had to cancel.  So that was all very blah.  And didn't get my quota of photos labelled.

Backdating, because I'm a slacker... ;)  Also I think there was an entry or two in the July archives you might not have seen if you don't use an rss feed reader.  

Monday.  5am wakeup.  Sore spine, numb hands, full bladder.  Sigh.  Tired all day.  Hid out in do not disturb mode all morning and caught up on all Thursday and Friday's tickets.  Long weekends are never long enough!    Tried to read stuff but too many interruptions in the afternoon.  Got my UK photo labelling done a bit early then went into battle with Apple to get the movie files off my phone.

Tuesday.  3am wakeup.  Didn't get back to sleep til probably 5ish for another hour.  Even tireder than yesterday :(  Stayed in DND all day.  Got a bit more than my quota of UK photos done.  Two episodes of BBT, but far too tired to blog.

Wednesday.  Yayyy 9.5 hours sleep!!!  Tried a pulled beef recipe - which was ~1tbs brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder; ~1tsp salt, pepper.  Rubbed some mustard on the meat, covered with the dry rub, then chucked in the slow cooker (with some leftover lamb jelly and some liquid smoke in the bottom) and left it on high all afternoon.  Possibly could have been done a bit longer, it wasn't quite pull apart.  Also should have used a fattier cut of meat.  But it was still pretty good.

Pulled beef

Pulled beef

Thursday.  Ok sleep.  Work ok.  Caught a bus into work in the afternoon, went and picked up a new pass (the old one had expired), went and said hi to the team, then headed up to Pot Belly.  First drinks with work peeps in five months!  So that was nice.  Picked up pizza on the way home then watched the last four episodes of Big Bang Theory.  Took us a bit over a year to watch through all twelve seasons.

Friday.  Wouldn't be my birthday if I didn't end up in tears over *something*.  In this case trying to understand our crazy networking.  David took me to KFC for lunch (it's tradition!) but we couldn't eat in so had to bring it home. 

KFC lights

KFC birthday lunch

Blerfy afternoon fighting with stoopid firewall which is doing stoopid things that noone can explain.  The plan was to catch a bus into town and have dinner somewhere with the sweetie, but I was so late getting away he just came home and picked me up and we went to Chong Co, which was lovely as always.  

47 selfie

Thai fish cakes - famous spicy Thai fish cackes, served with sweet chilli sauce ($12.00)
Crispy crab net rolls - crab meat, shrimp, fish mixed with water chestnuts, and taro delicately wrapped in crispy net roll ($9.50)
Chong Co entrees

Prk Pao Moo Grob - stir fried mild chilli yam sauce with capsicum, onion, shallot, mushrooms, corn and basil leaves ($25.00)
Chong Co prik pao moo grob

Duck salad - sliced roasted duck with coconut shredded, chilli jam, coconut milk, cucumber, mint, shallot, coriander and cherry tomatoes ($23.00)
Chong Co duck salad

Came home and watched Shakespeare in Love.

Saturday.  Awake from 2-5am, then broken sleep til 8am.  So a bit of a zombie day.  Went to Michelle's in the evening for her birthday party.  They have a karaoke machine and a subscription to an online karaoke website, which is pretty good - it has all the original audio - but it doesn't have the original videos like Singstar had.  Not that anyone really needed the karaoke machine, everyone was just singing.  I only joined in for a few, was elsewhere chatting to people and standing in front of the fire for a fair bit of it.  I did get to sing Let it Go right at the end of the night which was fun though ;)  Too late a night though for me.

Funky cheese board

Hamburger station

Michelle's birthday cake

Sunday.  Slept ok, including a bit of a sleepin.  Mostly housework in the morning.  Had lunch then cooked dinner (beef cheeks).  Need moar slow cooker recipes so we don't sick of things.  Watched penultimate episode Fuller House.

Monday.  Slept ok, and slept in til nearly 7am - whoops!  Super productive morning getting things done while scanning slides.  Went and took some photos of the daffodils out the front, and saw a cold wild blue tongue lizard.  So caught it (it wasn't happy haha) and had it pose for photos.  And its little claws are *sharp* - so much sharper than Stumpy's!



Wild blue tongue lizard

Wild blue tongue lizard

Had a two hour long demo from Sharpie which was quite useful, but I need to see something like ten times before it will sink in....  And stoopid firewall is still being stoopid. 

Backdating.. cause I'm a slacker!!

Monday.  Definitely not enough hours in the day.  Had the tree people out.  The pistachio is slowly splitting at the base and one part of it is leaning on the fence to Kit's place.  The dude was like, this has to go sooner rather than later.  Took more time off work when David got home to help him sort out the fence.  We cut away more vines and weeds, and he was able to get the panel pulled back up and held in place with string until we could get some screws.  Cooked (not) Dinner Winner (Coles don't sell Dinner Winner) for dinner.  Was quite nice, although I could probably do something pretty similar myself.  

Not Dinner Winner

Not Dinner Winner

In the evening passed half way in my UK 2010 photo labelling.  Still on track to have everything done by the end of the year.  Next year I want to label my Eurasia 2012 photos.  Twenty three and a half thousand photos.  At five hundred photos per week that'll take forty eight weeks to do!!  Craziness.  But the idea is to have all the work on in complete by the time it's ten years since we went in 2022.

Tuesday.  Had the ACT Government tree inspector out (I put a form in on the weekend).  He also took one look at the tree and said it had to go sooner rather than later.  Got verbal approval to remove it straight away.  So talked to the tree peeps and they rearranged some customers so they could come out the next day.  Later, David and I went round to the neighbour's side to pull away more vines and weeds, and he was able to strap up the fence to pull it back into position to be screwed.  Poor neighbours, we keep hassling them!  But did I mention I have the bestest brother ever? :)  Cooked beef cheeks for dinner.  Not as dark this time for some reason.  David really liked this version.

Beef cheeks

Wednesday.  Tree guys came first thing.  Such a shame to see such a beautiful tree taken down, but the thing was in danger of falling down so had to go :(  Kit was sad as well, although I think she'd have been sadder if it had fallen on her garage!

Pistachio tree

Pistachio tree

Pistachio tree

Pistachio tree

Pistachio tree

They came back later in the afternoon to grind out the stump.

Pistachio tree

Had our pizza night a night early, then played Kismet with Kit and Pete.  I got not one but *two* kismets - the first with 1s, the second with 6s.  I ended up winning.


Thursday morning.  Emirates refunded our Europe flights (although not the extra we paid for seat allocations hmmm).  Still, can't complain too much, we're lucky to have gotten anything back at all.  Packed up to go out to the club.  Lit the fire and collected more firewood before the predicted rain.  

Club fire

Hey look!  I saw a 747 in flight!
Atlas 747

This is what we came out for so early - to seal this sawdust board MDF


They'd put this cabinetry in but hadn't sealed it, so a single drop of water would make the whole thing swell up.  Which is really great right next to the kitchen sink.


I sanded and sanded it, but it didn't get smooth, just all fluffy.


Club trees

Club trees

Had drinks and leftover roast pork by the fire.  Listened to a podcast on the possible CIA origins of Winds of Change (part 1 of 8).  

Friday morning.  Got stuck into the first coat of primer.  Things were going well until the fumes made Stu sick :(  So stopped after an hour and a half and washed out the brush.  In the afternoon did some tidying and organising of the "tool shed" in the van.  Also did some work on the tapestry.  Stu had some pretty chilled out music going so it was a nice pleasant afternoon just chillin.  I also sanded the cabinetry again.  This time got things somewhat smoother.  Cooked curried sausages for dinner.  I don't think I'd really want to cook much from scratch out there in future.  I mean I can, but there's no range hood, so steam from cooking just goes everywhere.  Think we'll just stick to leftovers, or bbq.  Listened to another episode of Winds of Change and had an early night.



Saturday.  Stoopid fricken insomnia.  Lit the fire again, had a bit of a sleepin.  Did another coat of primer while Stu was at the committee meeting.  I think another sanding and another coat of primer (just on the horizontal surfaces that had been damaged) and it'll be as smooth as I can get it. 

New deck

We were meant to meet up with EffanC after for lunch, but we went to the wrong hotel, 20km away.  This is what happens when you use the PHONE, people, instead of MESSAGING!!!  If I'd seen it in writing would have been less likely to get it so wrong.  #grunt !  Anyway, Stu and I had a nice enough lunch at the Lake George Hotel.

Lake George Hotel pork ribs

This time they got the pork belly right - with crackling!  

Lake George Hotel pork belly

Finished watching the end of Herbie the Love Bug in the evening.

Sunday was housework all fricken morning.  After lunch went and visited Annie, but we were running a bit early, so Stu drove me around to look at the flooded Ginninderra Creek.

Ginninderra Creek in flood

Ginninderra Creek in flood

Ginninderra Creek in flood

Ginninderra Creek in flood

So seeing Annie and Immy, and later Noah and Stu, was nice.  Haven't seen them in forever.  Did our shopping at Casey Supabarn, I think for the first time since 2017 when they ripped us off.  This time they wouldn't do any bagging, which is a massive pain when you're trying to wrangle a large trolley load full of shopping at either end.  At least I had Stu's help this time, it would not have worked *at all* if I'd been by myself.  I swear if they try and do that sort of crap again I would send one bag and what I wanted to go in it through, go to the other end and load it, before coming back to pass the next bagful of stuff through.  Got home and cooked for hours.  Roast chicken and veggies, chicken to make up some honey mustard chicken during the week, and mince for tacos.  Dinner and BBT.  I went to go clean up after dinner and Stu put YouTube videos of various BBT stuff.  While I'm fricken working and everyone is just sitting around watching videos without me.  Might have had a meltdown.  There is no way I could be a mother, I'd lose my $#!+ every fricken day.

Chicken dinner

So contrary what the date on this entry says, I didn't blog that night, in fact like three weeks behind in blogging by that point.  *sigh*

Backdating.. cause I'm a slacker ;)

Monday.  Scanned photos of our house being built in the morning.  Usual Monday stuff, and caught up on some blogging.

Naughty Stumpy

Naughty Stumpy

Tuesday.  Scanned baby photos in the morning.  Usual Tuesday stuff, including Taco Tuesday.  More blogging catchup, and labelling York photos in the evening.

Sky on fire

Wednesday.  Yayyy - good sleep!  More baby photo scanning in the morning.  Crazy day at work with dumb meetings and people wanting dumb things.  Got a message from Kit that a panel in the fence had been knocked out in the wind.  Was too busy with work to go look at it so finally saw it after work.  Vines had been getting in and pushing things loose, but also the hedge branches had gotten so big they were also pushing on it.  Then the strong wind on Tuesday night it was enough to dislodge it.  Hurrah.

I can't even see that corner with all the shrubbery
Fence disaster

Hacked and hacked to be able to get this far
Fence disaster

Fence disaster

Fence disaster

In the evening continued York photo labelling, including the National Railway Museum and Hogwarts Express!!

Thursday.  Another crazy busy day at work.  Watched the first half of Herbie - The Love Bug.  I was a bit disturbed about Herbie murdering another car tho.  Seemed excessively violent.

Friday.  Watched Kiki's Delivery Service, which I didn't think I'd seen, but in fact had, and only five years ago too.  Hurrah for dementia.  I put out some snackages which ended up being dinner.  Whoops.

Healthy dinner

Saturday.  Passed 2700 of Dad's slides scanned.  Into New Zealand 1975 photos.  Started to get house stuff organised - emailed tree, plumber and roof restoration people.  In the evening Stu said we could watch whatever I wanted.  So I suggested a few things, and then he put on Mortal Engines.  So much for my choice ;)  Still, it wasn't too bad.

Sunday I got stuck into tidying the dungeon so I could move all the Lego boxes so the plumber would be able to get easy access to look up into the cavity.  The damp is so bad there was a big patch of mould under where I had a plastic tub near the wall.  

Rearranging the dungeon

Rearranging the dungeon

Rearranging the dungeon

Rearranging the dungeon

Rearranging the dungeon

Mouldy floor

Mouldy floor

I also tidied up under the house for access from the other side.

Rearranging the dungeon

Rearranging the dungeon

Cooked roast lamb for dinner, and had C over for dinner and Pictionary.  D and I won one, and Stu and D won another.

Lamb roast

M&Ms vs Pictionary

Rocky Road

| | Comments (0)

Such a simple thing to make.

This one is a pack of marshmallows (cut in half so the bits aren't as big), a pack of granulated nuts, a pack of raspberries, two handfuls of coconut, and three blocks of dark chocolate.

Rocky road

Mix all the dry ingredients, melt the chocolate, mix all together.

Rocky road

Spread into a tray lined with baking paper and refridgerate til set.

Rocky road


Backdating.. cause I'm a slacker!

Monday.  Usual Monday Stuff.  Having trouble keeping up with UK photo labelling.  Just hard work.  In the afternoon David came home with a Lego Yoda to build!  Someone at his work had conceded defeat with it and given it to David to do.  He sat down in the late afternoon and didn't move until he'd finished yet - like five hours later (I brought him dinner of leftovers).  Although the first hour was pulling apart the beginnings of the work that had been done, and finding the mistakes which would have made it very hard for his colleague to have progressed with.  

Lego Yoda

Lego Yoda

Lego Yoda

Lego Yoda

Lego Yoda

As usual, there's always a tonne of new Lego pieces I've never seen before!

New Lego pieces

New Lego pieces

New Lego pieces

New Lego pieces

New Lego pieces

Tuesday.  Leftovers for dinner.  Started watching season 12 of BBT (David brought up his Blurays).  Then watched 101 Dalmatians - the Glenn Close version, with Mr Weasley and House as the thugs :)  None of the animals speak in the live action remake so it's a little more human focussed, but not bad.  Pretty sure I've seen it before a long time ago.  Also tried out Coles shopping online which we haven't done in a few years.

Wednesday.  Catching up on photo labelling from the past couple of nights - labelled nearly four hundred photos, although over a hundred of those were of the bird of prey show at Warwick Castle.  Ended up only 67 photos behind for the week.  Also made a random gnocchi since David wasn't home and I could use tomatoes.

Random gnocchi

Random gnocchi

Thursday Stumpy was being naughty and trying to get out.  He'd actually gotten on top of the light before he slipped off when I got this picture.

Naughty Stumpy

Friday we had the Coles delivery.  Some of the meat I ordered wasn't available, and they gave us a block of cheese because they didn't have cubes.  Pretty sure you can set replacement options, but ultimately shopping online is a bit of a pain because if something isn't available you don't find out until they're about to deliver it.  In store you could just get something else, but online you end up going without.  

In the evening we headed out to the club.  Got the fire going, and had some drinks and snackages, which turned out to be dinner.  Whoops.

Club fire

Club healthy dinner

The owners of our old van were trying to burn out a big stump.

Stump burning

Went up to the shed and chatted to people for a bit, then went to bed.

Saturday.  Terrible sleep.  Was awake from 2-4:30 or so.  Had a bit of a sleep in and a very slow start.  Got a fire going again.

Club fire morning

There was a working bee on the day.  I asked John for a job and he pointed me at the glass sliding door to the sun room and said see if you can get the concrete spatter off that (from when they poured the slab).  So I spent ages with a fingernail, a paint scraper and some vinegar getting it looking beautiful.

Concrete spatter

Others were redoing the pool decking that was completely rotten and very dangerous.

Club new decking

In the evening we were supposed to have a bonfire, but it threatened rain so we just hung out in the shed (just under the covid people limit for the space).  Didn't stop me from cooking marshmallows in the fire!

Club marshmallows

I was pretty bummed that I wasn't doing my Christmas in July dinner that night - have done it every year for quite a few years now.  I even took some roast pork and stuff for a potato bake, but I wasn't sure who was going to be using the oven so it was all too hard so we just had snackages, although did have some of Nick/Tab and Dee's food which was nice of them.

Sunday morning we came home.  I was feeling lost, after having lost over half my weekend at home.  In the afternoon cooked for several hours straight - cooked up taco mince for later in the week, the roast pork, brussels sprouts with bacon, epic potato bake, a rocky road and some cheese and bacon balls, using cream cheese that was best before May.  It was totally fine.  I'd picked the wrong thing from the Coles order (another disadvantage of shopping online - too easy to make mistakes and pick the wrong thing) - taco shells instead of a taco kit - so had to make my own taco spice.  I think I used about a teaspoon each of chili powder (bit less of that), garlic powder, herbs, paprika, cumin, corn flour, salt and pepper.  I was already feeling delicate when David snuck into the kitchen at one point and scared the hell out of me.  I might have had a meltdown on the spot.  And then everyone was sulky with each other all night.  Hurrah.  

Custom taco mix

It'll be fine right

Roast pork July

Backdating.. cause I'm a slacker...!

Monday after two late mornings on the weekend I slept in til 7:10am!  Whoops!  So no slide scanning.  Deleted lots of stuff at work which always makes me happy.  Dinner and kitchen cleaning and took all night to label my quota of photos.

Monday night I couldn't get to sleep til after midnight - restless legs/itchy skin.  Then woke up at 3:20 and couldn't get back to sleep for over two hours, then broken sleep til 7:10.  Got up and had breakfast, then attemped to get some more sleep, but failed.  *sigh*.  So another day of no slide scanning.  Had a 2.5 hour marathon session with Ward doing all the Sharefilez.  Taco Tuesday, then took all night to label 145 photos of the Tower of London.

At least I slept well Tuesday night, sleeping in til 6:40.  Put on an Irish stew at lunch, but the recipe Stu gave me could have used a slow cooker twice as big as ours.  I did realise this and cut it down a lot, but it was still very full (and as I write this on 28/7 there's *still* some leftover in the fridge!).  Into season 2 of IT Crowd.  By the time we'd had dinner and watched some tv and done the washing up by the time I sat down it was like 8pm.  *sigh*.  Kinda struggling a bit.. hrmmm..

Irish stew

Irish stew

Thursday.  Slept ok again, even woke up on time.  Finished watching the original One Hundred and One Dalmatians.  And started getting a cold sore.  Hurrah.

We're onto our sixth case of Corona since the lockdown.  I calculated we've drunk about 7.4 beers each week between the two of us.  We're saving the boxes for filling up with books if Lifeline ever start taking donations again...

Cases of Corona

Let Stumpy out for a walk.

Stumpy going for a walk

Wait what?  Am I watching One Hundred and One Dalmatians here?  Or Peter Pan?  I call shenanigans!!

Disney cheating

Friday I took a long lunch to go see Qantas' last 747 fly over Canberra.  If I get Coronavirus it'll be from the guy who came and stood right next to me upwind of me and was sniffling and coughing (only very quietly, but still..).  Epic #grunt.  

Mt Ainslie panorama

Had chicken kiev for dinner and watched My Neighbour Totoro.

Didn't really do much on Saturday.  Nothing noteworthy anyway.  In the evening went over to EffanC's for dinner.

Pretty roses

Pizzas EffanC's

Pizzas EffanC's

Sunday also not much.  I did scan a box of slides - of me as a baby.  Had C over for a music session and dinner.  Did slow cooker beef brisket based on this recipe.  I've never cooked beef brisket before, but it turned out pretty well.  Very fatty though!!  I'll append an after shot once I've gotten it off the phone, although it really wasn't very photogenic!!

Beef brisket

Beef brisket

Beef brisket

Also how funny is this - the bottle on the left was best before 2004.  !!  It was the second bottle Stu owned when I met him, and after finishing the first I moved onto this one.  Except it was so dehydrated it was pretty much a sticky mass that wouldn't pour.  So we got a new one.  Best before 2022.  :)

Dark soy

Backdating.. cause I'm a slacker!

Saturday.  Blogged my butt off trying to get everything caught up so I could move it all across to a new host.  Then backed everything up again.  Sausages for dinner, BBT and part 2 of The Dismissal.

Stu taking Stumpy for a walk

Sunday I moved the nameservers for over to Ventra IP, while leaving the A record for the website pointed back at CIA.  Made sure mail was flowing ok.  Then I sat down to try and get the blog working.  Except it wouldn't work because VentraIP doesn't support DBD::mysql, and don't support perl module installation.  I did have a bit of a go at getting cpan to get it, but I'm too dumb for that sort of thing.  Got pretty depressed about it all.  Did some housework in the afternoon and setup beef cheeks to cook.  Had EffanC over for dinner which was nice.

Wine cheese and candles

Beef cheeks

Mulled wine and a cookie

Later on (at least I think it was this night, if not was around here some time) I was looking at IMDB for The Dismissal, and went to see what else Max Phipps had been in.  One of the things was The Miraculous Mellops.  It sounded vaguely familiar so I had a look - and I did remember watching it nearly thirty years ago!  Although all I could remember about it was the girl with the crazy hair and the Grand Baby, although I have a feeling I know who the next Grand Baby will be.  Started watching through it and have been watching episodes on YouTube here and there over the past couple of weeks.

Monday the usual.  There was supposed to be early fog and a top of 13 or 14.  But the fog never lifted and it only maxed at about 7!

Tuesday passed 2000 of Dad's slides.  Cooked a lamb roast for dinner.

Lamb roast with veggies

Tuesday I tried to have an early night but that didn't work because Stu was late in coming to bed, plus I was uncomfortable and stressed and I couldn't sleep and I was so frustrated I had a meltdown.  Twice.  Didn't get to sleep til well after midnight, and was awake in the middle of the night for a couple of hours as well.  So Wednesday was well and truly a zombie day.  At lunch time I tried to get tickets for the 747 joy flight out of Canberra, but once again, Qantas is EPIC FAIL to deal with as a company.  I couldn't find anything on their website mentioning the flights or tickets at all.  Eventually about twenty past twelve I finally saw an ad on the front page.  I clicked through.  By this time it said Sydney had sold out.  But Brisbane and Canberra seemed ok.  So "searched" for the flight but got an error.  After reloading a couple of times it said it had all sold out.  Fricken typical.  

Qantas fail

Moved some crap downstairs at lunch, but didn't go see my birds.  Had a bit of a look at different hosting providers.  Chicken kiev for dinner because I didn't feel like cooking.  But no BBT!!  Season 12 is not on Netflix!  Bastards.  Yay for a wonderful end to my day.  Not.  

Thursday I watched The Parent Trap, Linsday Lohan version.  I first (and last) saw it back in 2004 and quite enjoyed it then, and enjoyed it again.  I remember thinking Lindsay Lohan was actually pretty good in that movie, and was a bit sad when she went off the rails a few years later.  The remake was *very* similar to the original, except the ending, and the Concorde! :)  Oh we also started The IT Crowd.

Baby chives

Friday we finished watching The Dismissal.  I normally have little interest in politics, but this miniseries was very well done and educational (and if you haven't heard of it - go listen to the recent The Eleventh podcast - it was really interesting too).  Except we were ripped off because the most famous line uttered by Whitlam isn't actually in the movie!

(we got a little distracted by the 80s shots of Canberra, and this typo of November)


Saturday had hurty overnight so slept in a bit.  House stuff, lunch, shopping (Coles had toilet paper! ha!), cooked dinner, and cooked up some taco mix to save having to cook it after work during the week.  Used chuck steak to make the Asian style beef cheeks, because Coles didn't have any beef cheeks.  I also doubled the recipe because we never seem to have enough of it.  Chuck steak was ok but not quite the same, just the wrong texture.  Watched Ready Player One, which we last saw on our last cruise.

I like how the glass here didn't fog up..


Sunday I had a bit of a sleep in - til 7am!  Although didn't really get anything done all day.  Went for a walk around Aranda bushland with C in the afternoon.

Aranda walk

Aranda walk

Aranda walk

Aranda walk

Did roast chicken for dinner with a blue cheese potato bake.  Watched the first half of the original 101 Dalmatians.

Garlic scrolls

| | Comments (0)

Last of the food porn for today, I promise ;)

Stu's favourite side from Dominos at the moment are their garlic scrolls.  I had a go at making them the other week but they were fairly dry.  Need to do a bit more experimenting ;)

Just some olive oil spray, powdered parmesan (I think), shredded parmesan, and garlic powder.

Garlic scrolls

Nice, but yeah, a little dry.

Garlic scrolls

I very possibly haven't made these since 2006.  Last Saturday I made the full recipe, but I think I should just get a 200g tube of sweetened condensed milk and stay with the halved recipe.  Also, yay for all Mum's old self-raising flour - 4 cups is quite a lot!


These choc bits will be fine right?

These will be fine right..

Dough ball

Balled out

Ali's choc chip cookies

I took some to Sydney with me the next day, but completely forgot about them for dessert Sunday night.  Oh well.

This was the third thing I've made from the Women's Weekly Gratins and Bakes book.

This one I measured the liquids (although really needn't have bothered) and winged it for the rest.

Again, fairly similar to regular bakes, but the blue cheese topping at the end added flavour.  

I first tried blue cheese in 1987 and HATED it.  I don't think I had any more for at least twenty five years.  I still won't eat it fresh, but I'm growing to like it if it's cooked.

Blue cheese potato bake

Blue cheese potato bake

Is the juice worth the squeeze?  Yes I think so.  Was very easy and quite tasty and the leftovers didn't last long!

This was the second thing I've made from the Women's Weekly Gratins and Bakes book.  

There's very little I can make from there at the moment, having to not use tomato and all.  So the other week when we had some gluten free pasta in the house, I made this.

I really didn't follow the recipe too closely - I kinda winged it with most of the measurements - and we didn't have any parsely so skipped that.  But it turned out pretty well.

Broccoli bake

Broccoli bake

Broccoli bake

Is the juice worth the squeeze?  I think so.  The base of it is very similar to any other veggie bake I would make, but the parmesan/breadcrumb/lemon rind topping was very nice.  

Backdating a bit...

So where we?

Sunday was roast pork, and finished watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.  I did like Jim Carrey playing a serious role, but the movie was all a little odd and a little confusing with the end at the beginning and stuff.

Monday was trying to catch up on photo labelling that I missed out doing last week.  Got a lot done but didn't catch up.  Passed 1600 scanning Dad's slides.

Tuesday I woke up at 3:24 and never got back to sleep :(  Work fighting with stoopid proxies.  And stoopid people wanting to put me on the phone in front of a room full of people while they put me on the spot while I solve their stoopid proxy problem for them.  I. Don't. Think. So.  !!!!  Finished up at 4pm then spent the next two hours catching up on housework.  It never fricken ends.  Put the bins out, did some washing, put away some washing, did the dusting and vacuuming (omfg awful old vacuum cleaner), put away a jigsw, and just a general tidy up (our cordless vacuum cleaner has been playing up after something got jammed in the roller.  Had to drag out the old one but it is sooo painful to use!!)  

Wednesday fixed a different stoopid proxy problem for Tony (hi Tony!).  After dinner finally caught up on UK photo labelling.  Started watching Marie Antoinette (ha, another Kirsten Dunst movie).  

Thursday someone at work said muchos nachos and that was enough inspiration for lunch!



While I was buying the chips, I asked Chris if I should buy toilet paper.  He said yes.  So I did.  Yanno, cause second wave in Victoria and people being stoopid and all.  Watched an episode of Fuller House - the one where Steph accidentally backs the car into the kitchen.  And I thought I'd go watch the original episode.  Except Netflix have pulled Full House!!  Bastards.  So watched the scene on YouTube instead.  Finished watching Marie Antoinette.

Friday we both took a random day off so we could Get Things Done.  We end up being out All. Day.

First stop was the mall.  Stu needed a hair cut - he'd been sporting the COVID-19 hair cut - it was *very* long.  While he did that I bought some sheets, some gluhwein, and some storage tubs. 

Next we headed to Fyshwick to look at beds.  We really want something bigger, and I want a firmer mattress.  There were a couple of options that came close, but we didn't see anything we both fell in love with.

Then to Ikea because, Ikea.  Well actually I wanted to get a storage cube for David's room, and Stu wanted to get a little drawer unit for his study.  After the lap of the show room and running into Scott we had lunch.  Because of COVID-19 they want you to register with a QR code that takes you to their site, you fill in all your deets and you get a ticket - they won't let you in without one.  So then you take a trolley, go order your food, pay, then they seat you.  All very strange.

Ikea lunch

Ikea lunch

Walked through the bits and pieces section and I picked up a lightning cable and some candles, before we picked up what we came for.

Then we headed into the city.  Stu had a physio appointment for his back, and I wandered BigW and JB Hifi.

Then to Jamo for our food shopping.  And it was a good thing I bought toilet paper the day before - Coles are out again!

Empty toilet paper shelves

Ran into Peter LM there too which was pretty funny.

Collapsed in a heap when we got home.  Sausages for dinner, then we watched Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (in english, because, Patrick Stewart).

Saturday morning I scanned some more slides.  50 boxes, 1800 slides scanned.  I made up the shelves for David's room, and Stu's drawers.

Kallax shelves

Kallax shelves

Helmer drawers

The shelves came with an allen key holdy thingie for better leverage..

Allen key tool

Otherwise just all the houseworks.  Made Ali's choc chip cookies.  And a blue cheese potato bake.  I watched Josh Gad's Reunited Apart episode on Splash, either Friday or Saturday, so started watching Splash :)

Sunday I drove to Sydney.  On the way I stopped at Nepean Dam, but Avon Dam is closed at the moment - bridge works apparently.  Got to Mum's and we spent quite a while looking at all Dad's slides that I'd scanned so far.  She filled in some stories for some of them which was pretty cool.  Roasted some potatoes to have with some leftover chicken.

Monday morning first thing we headed to my flat.  The tenants were moving out and after being burnt last time I wanted to make sure I saw the place this time.  I allowed 45 minutes to get there in peak hour traffic.  It took 20.  In fact we were so early we did a drive by of Grandma's old flat, and then a drive by of Luc and Lizzi's.  Their car was out the front so we went and said hi :)  So that was nice to see them.  And omfg Sammy is pregnant!  After so long that's amazing news.  So went and looked at the flat.  The tenants had done an amazing job keeping the place clean.  In fact the stove was cleaner than when they got it!

Clean stove

Then I drove straight home.  Well kinda.  I did have to wait an extra maybe twenty minutes or half an hour or so because someone wasn't paying attention and smashed their car up on the Hume.  I probably would have been quicker dropping Mum home and taking Appin Road.  Oh well.  Then straight to work.  Blah evening, but did finish watching Splash.

Kazza's "Boring Life Of a Geek" aka BLOG

IT geek, originally from Sydney, moved to Canberra in 2007. Married to "the sweetie", aka Stu. Prolific photographer, Lego junkie and tropical fish keeper.

Kazza the Blank One home