Results tagged “Camping” from Kazza the Blank One

So woke up at 5am. The mother type person wanted to get up but I said too early and went back to sleep for nearly an hour.

Went for a bit of a walk before breakfast, then had another big breakfast at the hotel. Then I realised I'd lost my name tag (it was hanging off my camera bag) and so went to go find it. Fortunately I lost it at the very beginning of the walk so found it very quickly.

All on the bus by 8am, but then we sat in the car park for half an hour while they went through housekeeping.

Headed off to the south-west and up onto the Atherton tablelands through some very pretty scenery.

We stopped for morning tea at Lake Eacham, where there were super cute tortoises in a pretty crater lake.

Then we backtracked a little to see the Cathedral Fig Tree - a spectacular Green Fig tree that is *huge*! Quite a spectacular tree.

Our next stop was Millaa Millaa falls which were also very pretty.

Had a brief stop at McHugh lookout near Millaa Millaa.

And then another brief stop at the Windy Hill (very appropriately named) wind farm.

The we finally made it into Ravenshoe for lunch. For a picnic lunch it was quite impressive, with lots of salads and meats etc.

After lunch was quite a long(ish) drive out to Undara. Arrived there about 4:30, then went for a walk up to the lookout and around the campsite. Unfortunately no mobile reception here (although I think Telstra might work), and they want $15/day for internet. So no contact with the sweetie tonight.. sorry sweetie!

Our room is in an old train carriage! It's super cool. Such a lovely place. Went up for a drink before dinner. Which. Was. Huge!!! I had steak, potato and salad, but couldn't finish it all. I am still *very* full. Then back to the carriage to blog and download photos and try and charge all my devices (I *really* need another micro usb cable!)

24 hours

| | Comments (0)

Had a full (and exactly) 24 hours at the club overnight.  Relaxed a bit in the caravan in the afternoon (it was *freezing* outside with a cold wind blowing).  Then had some wine and cheese in the freezing club house (we could see our breath) while watching penguins before raiding the cabin where A&J were staying.  Well they had a fire.  Had dinner with them then played a couple of games of Fluxx.

Club wine and cheese

Club possum

Today we had a bit of a sleep in (I even slept later than my usual 7am wakeup time!).  My brain/bladder training paid off and didn't need to go all night :)  I had bacon and eggs for breakfast but Stu was suffering from all the apples he ate last night (part of our trial run dessert for next weekend) so he spent pretty much the whole day in bed feeling miserable :( .  Cleaned up from last night, then played some more Fluxx while the kids ran around the place.

So poor Stu didn't really get the relaxing weekend that he was hoping for - too much socialising and discomfort :(

Club Night

| | Comments (0)

On Saturday night we went out to the club for the afternoon/evening.  J&H did a roast of epic proportions - a heap of pork and lamb as well, and lots of yummy roast veggies.  Played cards with A&J afterwards.  And I might have had some leftover pork the next morning for breakfast :)

Sunset from our caravan

Club roast dinner

Australia Day morning we went to Black Pepper for breakfast, and then did some shopping.

In the afternoon we went out to the club with new tent in tow.  Even though there were storms forecast.  Hrmm.

So we got there and assembled the tent.  It took quite a while because we'd never done it before, and the instructions were pretty crappy.  Got a bit hot and bothered.  So had a little break in the middle to have a drink and a chat with some of the people there.

Continued on. 

Made it in the end.

Our tent!

Inflated the air mattress, and filled the tent with all our crap, then went up for a swim.  And it being nearly 5pm, we declared it beer o'clock.

The swim was really nice .. until they setup the water volleyball net.  Hrmm.

Dinner was a lamb broth for entree, then another lamb stew, and haggis! and tatties and salads.  Lamb for Australia Day, haggis for Burns night.  The haggis wasn't quite as good as I remember from Scotland, but not too bad.

Lamb broth

Lamb stew and salads


Desert was a cranachan made by Chris


Did I mention the storm?  It *poured*.  And continued to rain for hours.  Apparently not as bad as back in Canberra though.

So we got back down to the tent to assess the damage.  The tarp on the vestibule had been covered in water/mud/leaves, but the interior of the tent was ok.  Just the end of the mattress/sheets were a bit wet from being pressed up against the edge of the tent.  Unfortunately neither of us could get to sleep.  The air mattress is quite sensitive, so each little movement rocks the other person around.  So I think we kept each other awake.  For hours.  Plus I was stressing about my bladder.  And of course the more you worry about needing to go, the more you think you need to go, even if you don't really need to go.  Blah.  I think I got to sleep around 2am.  Woke up at 4am for at least another hour.  Then another couple of hours sleep til 7am.  Yeah four hours sleep is probably not enough.

So we got up and had leftover haggis and tatties for breakfast.  Stu fried it, so it turned out more like the haggis we'd had in Scotland.

Leftover haggis and tatties

Then back down to disassemble the tent.  After removing spiders.


I wiped the tent down with a towel and we didn't try to properly fold it up, would do that at home after properly drying it all.  Just a quick fold and put it in the back of the car, with all the rest of our crap on the back seat.

And then home.

To find the power had been out since 7:10pm the night before :(  Fortunately the seals on the fridge are pretty good, so everything was still cold to touch, and stuff in the freezer was still frozen (a bit of meltage on the ice cubes but still mostly frozen).  

Rest of the weekend was pretty quiet.  We did go over to Potty's so he could build a Cornetto stand for the sweetie.  Because he's a manly man.  And has power tools. :)

Manly men

Kazza's "Boring Life Of a Geek" aka BLOG

IT geek, originally from Sydney, moved to Canberra in 2007. Married to "the sweetie", aka Stu. Prolific photographer, Lego junkie and tropical fish keeper.

Kazza the Blank One home