Day 2 - Sunday 14 September - Kuranda

| | Comments (0)

So the day started just before six when mum noticed me stirring and asked if I was awake. Hrmm. So got up and organised photos and posted my blog and crap.

Went down to breakfast and ate lots of naughty things and a few bits of fruit to make it look like I was at least pretending to be healthy.

Went for a little walk around the marina while waiting for our bus pickup.

At 8:30 lots of people were waiting for pickups by lots of different tour companies. Several came and went before the correct one did.

So we go driven up to the Kuranda Skyway station where we took the Skyway (Sky Train?) up the Barren Gorge. It was quite spectacular! Got out at the appointed places to have a walk around the rainforest and look out at the lookouts.  I'd love to see the falls during the rainy season - that would be amazing!

Arrived at Kuranda at around 11am. Walked along the waterfront up to the big road bridge, then up into the very hippy-ish markets. Found the Cassowary Cafe and had potato twisties and sat for a while and that took us up til about midday. Hrmm. Still three and a half hours to wait for our train back.

So walked through the tourist trap of stores and was a bit jaded by the whole thing. The Birdland would have been cool to go into, but they wanted $17 each which I thought was a bit steep.

So we just kept walking through the jungle. To be honest I was pretty tired from being hot and sweaty (have I ever mentioned how much I hate humidity?). So mum took me on a couple of jungle walks which were pleasant enough temperature-wise (if not humidity-wise) but ultimately a little boring.

Then we realised we'd be able to see the 2pm train going over a bridge, so went to go document that which was good.

Then back into town to look at the "main street" of tourist trap shops before *finally* getting onto the train at ~3:15pm.

The train ride was pretty cool. Some nice views of the spectacular gorge and a fairly leisurely trip down the hill.

Finally got picked up by the bus transfers a bit after 5pm, to take us back to our hotels.

Yeap. A super long, tiring day. I could easily have spent a couple of hours less in Kuranda and come back early (the 2pm train would have been ideal). Oh well.

Had a shower when I got back to the hotel (stoopid humidity) then we went down for dinner.

Met up with the rest of the people on the tour and had a lovely three course meal in the hotel restaurant. I had garlic prawns, pork belly and lemon meringue. It was all delicious. My only complaint was that the pork crackling wasn't crackling all over, only at the edges.

Then back up here to download photos, blog and wash my hair....

Leave a comment

Kazza's "Boring Life Of a Geek" aka BLOG

IT geek, originally from Sydney, moved to Canberra in 2007. Married to "the sweetie", aka Stu. Prolific photographer, Lego junkie and tropical fish keeper.

Kazza the Blank One home