reCaptcha

I've faced the fact that my hosting provider is never going to fix Perl, and hence my blog.  But, since I'm not actually paying for my hosting, there's little I can do about it.  It's not like I can refuse to pay! ;)

Sooo, I've been looking at replacing the Captcha.

As it turns out, Movable Type 4 comes with another Captcha provider - called reCaptcha.  So I signed up and with a bit of fiddling (I'm still using 4.01 so had to do some manual hacking) managed to get it working (for at least the Japan blog).  It's even uglier than the default Movable Type one (if such a thing were possible), and you can't use OpenID or other authentication methods, and it relies on another site, but for now it will have to do.

I'm going to have to rebuild the entire site for the changes to take effect, and this takes a good ten minutes of solid CPU power on the host, so I'm going to have a re-think about my sidebar and decide on any changes I want to make there before going ahead and doing it. (I've only ever rebuilt the entire site *once* since moving to MT4 and that was when I actually migrated to MT4 - all my old pages are still using the original design I had then, unless someone's commented on them to get something a bit newer).  This entry should work though, so please leave me a comment if you're still reading this blog! :)

Kazza the Blank One said:

testing commenting...

June 29, 2009 10:16 PM

Kazza the Blank One said:

and with my other gravatar...

June 29, 2009 10:16 PM

Charlie Daniels (TBU) said:

Leaving a comment :-)

... and I think my hosting provider may have upgraded something on my server too ... getting warning messages on one of my sites and I didn't change anything! :-(

Cheers

June 29, 2009 10:54 PM

Missy said:

Yes, I almost left because I couldn't comment. ;-) "I must have my share in the conversation." I'm going to have to scroll through the blog to re-find the link to the Japan blog, because I thought you were going to re-post the link as you updated it. My bad.

Glad you got a version of Captcha running!

June 30, 2009 2:24 AM

Kazza the Blank One said:

TBU: frustrating isn't it? :(
Missy: I've been linking to the Japan blog as I recomplete each day .. of course I've only done about two days.. heh. Hoping to get back into it over the next few weeks

June 30, 2009 7:02 AM

Missy said:

I did find the link to Day One, which I'd seen before, but I never saw Day Two's link. I looked that them today. Very nice!

June 30, 2009 9:05 AM

David Johnson said:

Still reading on the odd occasion I can fluke some internet. Currently in Old North Wales, heading to Dublin today.

June 30, 2009 4:43 PM

Kazza the Blank One said:

Missy: yeah I hadn't linked to day 2 yet because I haven't labelled the rest of the photos on conspiracy - that's going to be a big job (189 photos for the day) and was wondering if I could cheat by labelling them offline then updating the sql database :)

D: coool :) Have been reading your tweets and odd blog entries. Is Y not doing a full travel blog like she's done in the past?

June 30, 2009 5:53 PM