Spiders

One of the things I *don't* like about the new house, is the number of spiders.  I've seen lots of them, all different species.  The worst of course was the smallish huntsman that was on my computer desk (!!!)  This one of course had to be evicted.  Stu doesn't like spiders either, and there was much squealing on my part, but we eventually captured it and took it outside.

I'm going to find a brush of some sort, or maybe just use a broom, to regularly brush down the outside areas to keep them clear of cobwebs threatening to terrorise me when I walk through them...

JC said:

A wise man once told me that's all a matter of point of view.
If you have spiders, you don't have many flying insects.
If you have many flying insects, you probably don't have many spiders.
If you have mice, you don't have snakes, unless you have a zillion cats.
If you have snakes, move.

November 14, 2008 10:47 AM

Fiona said:

But yeah, we have HEAPS of spiders at the new place... and ants.. oh god *dies*

November 14, 2008 3:15 PM

gunzel412 said:

Remember one Flick, and they're gone.

Mortein Ant Sand works well.

November 17, 2008 12:49 PM

Kazza the Blank One said:

JC: cool :) Apparently there was a kangaroo just down the road the other night .. what do you do for those ? ;)

Fiona: *comfort*

Gunzel: Was thinking of using surface spray around some of the entrances. Don't really like using chemicals much tho :/

November 18, 2008 10:43 PM

Kirk said:

Hehe... I once had a huntsman in my room (or possibly a wolf spider - are they the same?), but it disappeared behind the bed, and I couldn't find it. Too me ages to get to sleep - and then I awoke in the morning to find dozens of dots on the ceiling, and thought, "WTF?" They were baby spiders... they have 30+ babies at a time.

They're nomadic spiders, so they always wander into the house - especially in this sort of weather (warm and wet)... I find they often come in two's.

You can buy spider catcher gizmos:

Not sure how well they work though... was thinking of getting one. I normally catch them in a glass - but this thing allows me to keep them a bit further away.

Cheers,
Kirk

PS: Captcha verification doesn't work for me in firefox (they often don't)

November 19, 2008 8:09 AM

Kazza the Blank One said:

I think they have a lot more than 30! A huntsman gave birth in our dining room once and there were probably hundreds.. I was very sad when mum vacuumed them all up :(

and captcha seems ok for me in firefox..?

November 19, 2008 4:35 PM