Verdict: Vista Sux!!

ok so I've been using Vista for less than a day now.

It completely and utterly sux.

I should have listened to everything I've ever heard and gone with XP.

Problem 1: Crap backup

You don't get NTbackup anymore. You get some other homegrown Vista backup. Which is crap. You can't actually choose a folder to backup. You can just choose the type of files to backup. Completely and utterly useless. Apparently people have complained so much that Microsoft has made ntbackup available for download for Vista. Unfortunately it only does restores of XP files. To do actual backups you still need to grab ntbackup from an XP machine. This of course doesn't let you do system state. Presumably one of the other recovery options lets you recover the actual system if it gets lost. Haven't read up too much on that.

Problem 2: Moving Files

In every other (Windows) operating system released by Microsoft, moving files on your hard drive was a simple drag and drop and would be done in a split second. Now when you move files it sits there and *calculates* all the files you have to move. WTF???? I aborted a move of about 10gb of files after it said it was going to take 90 days to complete. Only to find it had moved about half of the files after about 5 minutes. Did the other directories piecemeal so that I could watch them go. What a piece of frigging crap.

Problem 3: Mysterious Permission Denieds

When I was moving some of my files, at one point it barfed and said permission denied moving the files. No explanation why. I moved on and did other directories and came back to the problematic one later. I tried moving the subdirectories themselves, only to have it finally say it couldn't move the putty directory because it was in use (I was actually using putty at the time). Why it couldn't tell me this when I was doing the upper level directory I don't know.

Problem 4: Stoopid views

If you have a directory with mostly images, it decides they're photos and makes stoopid views accordingly. Like with tags and ratings and "date taken". Give me standard columns dammit!! So I set my views back to the way I like them and say reset folders. Except that it won't do that to *all* folders, only folders of the same type was what I'm in now. Picture folders are their own type and you have to do them separately. So I try going to an upper level folder and going customize and setting all subfolders to be this type and CRASH EXPLORER!!!! Strangely enough, it seemed to actually reset all the sub-folders to the default style I'd set, even though it had crashed.

Problem 5: Memory

Vista is bloatware to the max. To the point of only running it for less than 24 hours and it had completely run out of memory. I have 3gb of physical memory. You'd think that would be enough. Apparently not. It seems you need to reboot every six hours even with 3gb of memory and not actually *doing* anything. When I got back from dinner it had gone into powersaving mode and couldn't be recovered. The hard disk was churning away, but nothing would come up on screen. No frigging idea what it was doing. Ended up cold booting the bastard.

Problem 6: Weird IE translations

WTF? Every time my mouse hovers over a word I get some weird translation of what it means in some other language?? Huh??? What is that? How do I turn it off????

Really really pissed with Vista (and James). I should have listened to my heart and gotten XP.

Dave2 said:

I finally gave up on Vista and went back to XP on my Windows box and am much, much happier.

Well, as happy as I can be using Windows. :-)

October 11, 2007 11:26 PM

David Johnson said:

Should have listened to your sister in law.

I am wondering if Vista is the best thing that has ever happened to Apple.

October 12, 2007 2:12 AM

JC said:

In addition to the title to the vehicles, house, important documents, pistol, valued negatives, the safe is also home to the expensive software and my copies of XP OS, with serial numbers! XP does have the benefit of chugging right along no matter what you throw at it - I restart the machine pretty much when the utility power blips round here - my personal record for this non UPS backed desktop is four months.

October 12, 2007 7:04 AM

Yvonne said:

Um.....yeah...welll see my blog june 2007..... I'm sorry you got talked into it. AND if it is a new new computer, there willbe no drivers for XP for the new hardware. I bought a copy of XP to put on my new laptop but of course the hardware doesn't work with XP. :(
Many hours on the phone to HP (in India NO JOKE!) and we had to rely on David's expertese to get Vista to work at all.

Vista IS the best thing to happen to Apple. As David stated and when my contract for the modem runs out I am buying the best wizz bang Apple laptop in the world. &*^% to Windows.

October 12, 2007 1:45 PM

suburbanhen said:

Whoa! What on EARTH is all that stuff that you do with your computer? I don't mean to sound like a dolt, but really, is all of that stuff necessary? Maybe all the moving and shaking you've done to the system has been what's 'broken' it?
This here thingy runs on Vista and I work with massive file sizes when it comes to images, run the internet in the background, have 50 image files open in Fotyshop at once, run two external hard drives, save, move fiddle and poke and still the system runs, with what I consider a pretty user-friendly interface.
It did get the shits with me early doors when a falshplayer didn't download properly, but removing the offending item and installing again fixed it.
That's the only problem I've had.

October 12, 2007 11:44 PM

Kazza the Blank One said:

er, to what STUFF are you referring..? :)

Windows backup. Kinda an essential bit of the computer to me. I backup my files every day and would be lost without it.

I haven't installed a single application yet (unless you count windows backup). The only things I've run on it that didn't actually come with the system preinstalled are putty (single executable that doesn't need installing) and irfanview (which also doesn't need installing).

I'm more than happy to admit that the stuff I'm doing to my computer could be the cause. But the only "stuff" I've done to cause memory leaks is move files. That's literally it. (Unless you count the gmail/google reader memory leaks, but they happened in XP too). When I copied everything across from my old computer, I just dumped everything into the one directory. I had no choice but to move everything. And Vista screwed with me. To the point of completely running out of memory. This to me screams serious flaw with the operating system. It's been ok for the last two days since I haven't done any moving of files.

October 13, 2007 3:33 PM

Новини said:

Same situation here - I gave up. Sucks badly.

October 23, 2007 9:41 PM