Notes made while drunk

Ever notice how "road trips" filmed in the US always show the scenic routes? Little back-country highways and the like. They never seem to show the rather boring I-number interstates (although some of those are pretty cool to drive on).

Then there was something about clutch starts. I haven't done one of those in years. I used to do them all the time when living at home and driving "red car" (a Datto 120-Y). You'd start the reverse out of the garage and then it would stall. So you'd roll the rest of the way out of the garage and begin the down hill of the driveway, and part way down you'd clutch start it in reverse. Fun stuff. Now I drive a car that just doesn't stall like that and I'm out of practise.

And there was something else I thought of while watching The Karate Kid tonight, but my brain didn't register it for long enough to write it down.

Oh well :)

Have I ever mentioned I rather like Stu? :):)

Kevin said:

It's the one thing we can seemingly do right here in the States... make ourselves look gorgeous while hiding all the bad stuff. Thankfully we still have some of the positive left. Give it time, though, and you'll find us resorting to archival footage. ;-)

"Ac-cen-tu-ate the positive..."

March 25, 2006 12:03 AM

trainman said:

You forgot to mention that you now drive an Automatic.

March 26, 2006 12:07 PM

No my first laser was an automatic, my current one is manual, but I've not had the need to clutch start it :)

March 26, 2006 12:25 PM

delmer said:

I can't remember if it was I-70 or I-80, coming from California to Ohio via Nebraska. God, what a long straight stretch of road with nothing to see.

Where was I that there was so much of nothing there would be Ranch Exits off the interstate?

In the states Australian drivers are often shown driving tricked out mud buggies with guns and harpoons mounted on them. Once in a while there will be a guy with a small helicopter (er, gyro-copter) and bad teeth that buzzes by. Maybe someone with a razor-sharp boomarang. And Tina Turner for good measure.

(Yea, I know. I posted a similar comment at Ben's not too long back. Sorry for the lack of originality. I DID leave out the part about radioactive water here.)

March 28, 2006 4:25 AM

hehehe haven't actually ever seen that movie.. :)

March 28, 2006 6:58 AM

delmer said:

Did I describe them that poorly? Or have you really never seen the Mad Max movies?

They are well worth watching. And if you squint real real hard, Mel Gibson looks just like Timothy Dalton. Sort of.

FWIW, I've never seen the Godfather. People seem surprised by this and are quick to remind me it's a classic.

March 29, 2006 9:45 AM