Got him!

Caught a student using a bit torrent program today. Finally actually caught one red handed. Was very exciting. Had security guards and everything turn up. Totally freaked him out I'm sure. Hopefully he'll pass the message on that that sort of behaviour is not on.

The decision of whether to lunch with Jim/John got put off for another day, as they didn't do lunch today anyway.

And I had another "idea" today which was a little scary. Although it turned out to not be quite as an exciting an idea as first thought. Oh well.

oh sorry, in case anyone cares, the "idea" was just a boring work one, which would have taken entirely too long to write out ;)

August 30, 2005 9:48 PM

Kevin said:

You work at a University, too? I had no idea if that is indeed the case. Just thought you worked in the corporate IT world.

It's fun, ain't it? Granted I don't really get to bust people or anything. I just maintain my university's Web site.

August 30, 2005 11:35 PM

Phillbo said:

Long live the BOFH. I salute you!

August 31, 2005 2:08 AM

Neil T. said:

I work in a university as well (and study there too) but not in an IT department.

August 31, 2005 2:44 AM

delmer said:

I had to suggest that a coworker quit viewing inappropriate websites during work just last week.

I'd fired a warning e-mail over the bow a month ago telling people that IT (um, me) was going to be keeping a closer eye on things.

Unfortunately, some people can't take a hint.

August 31, 2005 12:28 PM

Toffa said:

Great site.
Dont know where you get the time, though...
Dable in IT as part of my work a try and break things and run stuff like OS/2 Warp at home(Why???)
As well as build, repair and keep the back room extension in a complete mess.
Will clean it one day.

August 31, 2005 9:29 PM

os/2? sheesh ;)

on a lighter note, I caught *another* student today, in a different lab. mwooohahahahah

August 31, 2005 9:54 PM

Ben said:

Eeek! Remind me not to go to the uni you work at!

But I mean bit torrent doesn't nesscairly = privacy right? He could have been downloading err...linux! Of course some Uni policy disallows bit-torrent then...*ahem*!

;^)

September 1, 2005 7:04 AM

Not necessarily. However:
* the vast majority of bit torrent activity is downloading copyrighted tv shows, games etc
* medical students don't download linux very often
* it costs us an absolute fortune - $19/gig. Leave some torrents running for a few hours and it's easy to generate a couple of hundred dollars worth of traffic. Left running rampant, that sort of activity would cost us thousands and thousands of dollars
* they're running unauthorised programs on our lab computers

September 1, 2005 7:21 AM

Ben said:

19 dollars a gig?! That seems huge. I'm so curious to what uni you work at now. Of course I understand if you can't, or won't, tell...

September 2, 2005 3:58 PM