Swede? Never heard of it!

Did you know there is a vegetable called a swede? I didn't!

Skip to tomorrow.
Somehow I started writing this but went to bed and forgot to finish it.. oops! :)

Yes apparently there is a vegetable called a swede, which I'd never heard of, and only heard of it because I looked at the ingredients list on a packet of chunky frozen vegetables. I had to go look it up on google to find out what it was.

It's finally starting to get cold here too..

Stu said:

A relatively obscure root vegetable. Swedes are a bit bland, like turnips. Parsnips are delicious though :-)

May 24, 2005 9:54 AM

Aurelius said:

I have heard that vegetables exist.
But let's face it, if it aint on a sub, or a burger, who cares?

May 24, 2005 2:20 PM

Parsnips? Delicious? yeeeeshh!! ;)
I'm with Aurelius, vegetables are what food eats :)

May 24, 2005 8:07 PM

Aurelius said:

"This is the all stations train to Beenleigh"
Hang on! Beans! I'm on a train to somewhere with beans! Ergh!

May 24, 2005 8:12 PM

Stu said:

Well, you'll both get very hungry when you come to visit my geek commune, when I start it one day ;-)

May 24, 2005 9:03 PM

But you can't have a geek commune without the five food groups:
* fat
* salt
* sugar
* caffeine
* alcohol

vegetables don't go anywhere there.. :)

May 24, 2005 9:08 PM

Stu said:

It'll be a sort of hippy/geek commune: peace, love, mung beans and broadband! ;-) But you're right - I couldn't get by without those essential food groups. How do you get your caffeine intake Kazza? I think I recall reading you weren't a coffee or tea drinker.

May 24, 2005 9:38 PM

Yup, don't drink tea or coffee, and drink very little coke. Somehow got through life without a caffeine addiction :)

May 24, 2005 9:51 PM

Stu said:

I'm envious. I tried to give up caffeine, but I was sleepy all the time and I didn't get much work done.

May 24, 2005 10:15 PM

*comfort*
speaking of which.. I'm rather sleepie now also .. :)

May 24, 2005 10:39 PM

Stu said:

Sleep well :-)

May 24, 2005 10:44 PM

Richard said:

Roast parsnips are one of the sweetest, most delicious foods on earth. Swedes I could quite happily do without, though I'll eat them without complaint. They are sort of nondescript.

Some friends of mine had a German student staying with them once. They served mashed turnip with one of the meals and the German student was heard to say: "in Germany, we would feed this to pigs."

May 25, 2005 6:36 AM

soss said:

Swede - Do you know it's amazing calorific value? about 250 calories when boiled per 2 kilos! and is widley used as survival food by the military.
Here in the northern hemishere that particular root veg has been of amazing importance throughout history..... having said that, it was used for cattle fodder for most of it .. I wonder why!!

May 26, 2005 11:26 PM