Raid me baby

The only other "highlight" of the weekend was discovering at 4:45pm on Friday evening that one of the disks in our main mail server had failed. However it was one of the disks we were given last year by Dell after the big stuffup with the file server. So then it was a frantic dash to get hold of our account manager, and then onto the tech support line to convince them that they should give us another disk. Fortunately it all worked out (even after not having any seagate disks of the right sort in the country (wtf??) and looking like we'd need to get one flown in from Singapore, and finally ending up with a fujitsu drive), and they delivered it to my house late Friday night. Installed it on Saturday and it spent the next few hours rebuilding the array, but luckily all went well and the raid was happy again by the end of it.

Anyone know how to configure Dell OpenManage to email me if a disk dies?

Ben said:

Ask it really nicely?

May 22, 2005 6:29 PM

Please can you email me if you die?
(do you think it heard me? :) )

May 22, 2005 6:45 PM

Stu said:

Did you have a hot spare? I use IBM servers at work, so I don't know how to configure OpenManage. I've never got round to setting up notification for RAID failures (never had one) - I suppose I should; I'll put that on my list for next week :-)

May 22, 2005 8:06 PM

Don't use hotspares.. (cuts down on available space!).. Will ask dell next week if it can be done..

May 22, 2005 8:29 PM

delmer said:

K,

We use hot spares as well -- so I can't really help out.

The reason I am troubling you with a comment is that two years ago I went to New Jersey for a short trip. Half-way there I got a call from work -- our NetWare server was down. As it turned out the RAID array had died -- not just a drive, the whole array, so the server was down. (Of course, I didn't know that until I returned. I knew the server was down, not why.)

Today I returned home from a repeat of the same trip (that is, seeing a buddy in New Jersey) and saw your blog entry regarding your RAID question.

Two trips to New Jersey. Two RAID issues. I'm drinking Fosters as I type. It seemed like the right time to say, "I feel your pain."

BTW, is "Fosters" really Austrailian for Beer, as the ads say.

May 23, 2005 2:21 PM

Aurelius said:

Even as a non-drinker, I know that Fosters is the awful beer that's so bad, noone in AU drinks it - they export it instead.
Having said that, here in Jerusalem, the beer they're most famous for is only drunk by locals. Imports like me and my friends know not to touch the stuff.

May 23, 2005 3:47 PM

I've drunk probably no more than 50 beers in my life. None of them have been fosters :) I know by reputation that noone in Australia drinks fosters, they foist it off on unsuspecting poms, or some such thing :)

May 23, 2005 6:49 PM

trainman said:

VB is "the beer we drink 'round here", apparently.

May 24, 2005 11:42 AM

actually I've heard vb isn't that great either.. heh

May 24, 2005 9:34 PM