Five new fish

Catfish

Well today I was planning on getting a couple of Clown Loaches for my tank, but in the end changed my mind because I was worried about them digging up all my plants. So I decided on two small cat fishes and three Glass Catfishes. The glass catfishes will be pretty much impossible to photograph, as they're almost totally transparent. The little bottom-dwelling catfish are a little timid and not doing very much just yet.

I swear my danios are shrinking. The smallest of them look so small now, I guess my angels must be growing quickly.

I now have reached the limits of what my tank will support. I have 29 fish:

• 7 Zebra Danios
  • 4 Angels
  • 1 Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish)
  • 12 Neon Tetras
  • 3 Glass Catfish
  • 2 Cory Catfish

• 13 Comments

CC said:

I LOVE neon tetras! Our's have all died though, and haven't been replaced. They're actually Mum's pets... BTW, do you have the fighting fish in the same tank as the rest of them?

March 30, 2003 11:59 AM

Dennis said:

I have had a similar setup, but now I have only the angelfish, as they grew so large that they tried to eat their tank-mates before spawning season came around. I gave the others away, and now have a tank with a dozen angelfish, a few gouramis, and some larger glass tetras. I have some clown loaches, and if you don't like to dig around in the bottom of your tank, you made a good decision getting a cory instead. Those loaches uproot everything, but seeing them swimming around in their own little school all around the tank makes up for it. Best of luck with your new additions.

March 30, 2003 3:28 PM

Yep the fighting fish is in the same tank as the rest of them. He spent his first week in hiding as the danios and the angels kept chasing him and nipping at him, but now he's fine and swims all over the tank without any dramas. There's nowhere still for him to make a nest though, so I may still get another smaller tank for him, and then get a female for the community tank.

Yeah I'm expecing the tetras to become Angel fish food one day. But then it may be time to get another tank anyway ;)

March 30, 2003 4:56 PM

david lovett said:

my fighting fish of three days doesnt seem to be eating im feeding it betta food for siamese fighters do they eat any live stuff.
    cheers david

July 28, 2003 8:58 AM

siazr said:

i bought a male and a female together and as soon as the male got close to the female he's head got big and he started biting her.so then about too hiurs lator her tail king of feel of a bit how come thier not breeding is it too early for them.

November 3, 2003 9:21 PM

Gayle said:

Hi, I have just bought 4 Siamese Fighting Fish. I think I was given a lot of bad advice from the petshop woman, & now I`m not so sure my 10 litre tank with 3 partitians is big enough for the 4 of them. What do you think, can I safely keep them in there, or move 2 to another tank? thanks, Gayle.

December 21, 2003 5:51 PM

Well it's still bigger than the tiny glass jars the fish shops keep them in, but everything I've read says they like to swim around more. I've had mine in the community tank all year and he's thriving.

December 21, 2003 9:34 PM

Emily said:

The picture looks bad

May 6, 2004 6:00 PM

Michelle said:

I have a male fighter and am looking to purchase a female or two. Im finding it hard to locate them as not many shops stock them, and they are not prepared to order in just two.
    does anybody out there know anyone who is trying to sell them?
    I live in Campbelltown and work in Sydney, NSW.
    Thanks
    Michelle

April 19, 2005 10:36 AM

Ron said:

Try the Pet world shop in Botany Road, Green square
    to to the jaycar store they have a good range of male and females

June 8, 2006 4:03 PM

mustang said:

i've got a blue siamese fighting fish in a 5 litre tank. he's an old man now - 3 years old! he has cataracts and missing one eye - so he is practically blind. I couldn't bare to see him starve to death by not seeing the beta flakes so i hand feed him with tweasers. i think the secret to his long life is the tank size, holding a mirror up occasionally so he doesn't get bored (well i used to when he could see) and having an in tank heater rod.

cheers

October 24, 2006 12:15 PM

brad said:

i bought a betta on sunday. since i put him in the tank he aint eaten. and now today i came back from work 2 find he just sits above the filter. doesn't move unless i go near to the glass. could anyone tell me what could be wrong with him thanks

October 31, 2006 5:33 AM

e-Aquarium said:

Siamese fighting fish really thrive with some live and frozen food. Bloodworms and blackworms are great. Mosquito larvae are not as nutritious but simulate wild feeding behaviours and appetite. When you buy one note the water temp and test the ph of the water it was kept in. Recreate these conditions for the easiest transition.

May 19, 2007 1:37 PM